cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Backup perfomance over the Network

Thomas_Robert
Level 2
Hi,
I'm facing a slow backup performance over my LAN. The job rate is around 3Mb/Min for remote servers.
I'm using the robot DELL PV132 LTO2. Backup Exec Version is 11d. The performance is very high on the backup server itself. Around 800 Mb/Min.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Thomas
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Make sure that AutoNegotiate is NOT enabled on any port between the the media server and the target machine.  Hardset each end of each pipe to whatever is appropriate for your network (100MB/1000MB)  I'd start out at Full Duplex, but some have reported better performance with half Duplex

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
If your router or switch and NICs are 1 Gbps, you need auto/auto.   If your router and switch are 100 Mbps.  Set your NICs and ports to 100 Mbps full duplex.   If you have any hubs on your network.  Remove them and replace with full duplex switches.   I run a Dlink DGL-4300 gaming router on my cable modem.  It is 1 Gbps.  I was able to backup across the wire auto/auto with 1 Gbps NICs on both side.   Half duplex is used on hubs.   Turn off flow control.  This can cause issues.   Make sure you are using the BE 11D Agents.   Set them for IP addresses of the proper computers and servers.   

Anti-virus exclusions for real time scanning:
SQL processes on SQL server
Backup Exec processes on main tape server
Agent processes on remote box. 

Thomas_Robert
Level 2
Thank you for your feedback.

I've checked and all ports are set to 100MB/Full (Switch and NICs). I've noticed that the backup on the remote servers starts with a job rate of 850MB/min but this rate is continuously decreasing. I launched a backup this morning which is still running and the job rate displayed is 25 MB/Min.

Thank you again for your support.

Thomas

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Tell us more about the remote box?  What is the hardware on it?  How many files?  Do you have directories with more than 1,000 files?  10,000+ files? 

Could you install a 1 Gbps server NIC in both boxes with a CAT 5e cross over cable and setup a separate subnet for your backups?    I used to use a 8 port 1 Gbps switch connected to each server as my backup subnet.   I disabled routing on it so users could not hit it.   I could backup fast with users on the network without affecting their bandwidth.

Thomas_Robert
Level 2
I fixed the problem by replacing the network card of the backup server. The job rate is around 620 MB/Min.
Thank you.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I only use on-board server grade NICs or Intel Server NICs in every workstation and server.