cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Restore Jobs

Mark_Lavallee
Level 3
Hi,

I'm running Ver 11.0, and ran a restore job that was 27.8 MB in size. It took 45 minutes. I am restoring from USB 2.0 Hard Disks.

This seemed like a long time to me, I was wondering if anyone could vouch that this was normal, or if not, what I could do to possibly speed the process up. My concern is that if I have to do a major restore, it will take an unacceptable amount of time (we're a hospital).

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I set the restore job at Medium priority; enabled redirection as well. I Tested the credintials before startign the job and they were ok.

Thanks again,

Mark L.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
How long did the backup take?

In my experience, restores are about an order of magnitude slower than the backup that created the data. But I agree that 45 minutes to restore 28MB is a bit excessive

S_L_2
Level 4
Hello Mark:

This is a known problem, http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287309.htm
It started for me back in mid January. I rolled back to 10d, I suggest everyone here do the same, until all the bugs in 11d are worked out.

-SL

Ade_Sulaiman
Level 3
hello

i rolled back to 10d also after the criminal backup times got with 11d. and this was backup to disk! however now even after to roll back the backups still take an abnormally long time. i believe 11d has left a foot print on the servers which still affects performance even after it has been removed. unfortunately the only way ot confirm this may be to totally rebuild my target servers. that's not going to happen now is it..?

ade

Mark_Lavallee
Level 3
Thanks for the insight, everyone.

Right after I posted this, as a test, I did a restore from the same backup disk that was about 4 gigs in size so I could compare speed/times to the 27 MB restore job.

The 27 MB restore job took 45 mins - The 4 GB took... 48 mins.

My thinking on this is that when you restore a job, Backup Exec probably runs through the entire set of media, just to make sure that it didn't miss something.

My reasoning for this is that when you restore from Tape, the job seems to "check" through the entire tape, and I believe the logic would hold true on a Hard Disk, because Backup Exec doesn't seem to care that you're backing up to a hard drive - it works it just like its backing up to tape. It seems like it views the Hard Disk as just a big tape changer, and creates media "tapes" as it needs it in the hard disk folders.

That's my thoughts about it anyway. :)

Thanks again for the help!