cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow performance in Backup file

CAN_T_restore_i
Level 2
Hi support,

I've installed the 11D into our DB server and remote backup the Exchg2003 and File server daily mid-night, but we found that the Exchg backup can have 1GB/min backup speed, but when backup the File server, it just 150MB/mins, so can you let me know what is the problem on this, the File server is more powerful than the Exchg server.

Also how can I attach the image here?  I can't use the internet Link method to map the image to here.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Jeff1981
Level 4
Check this thread for speed related problems

Also, a fileserver will perform more poorly than an Exchange server. An Exchange database can be backed up much faster than thousands of small files which are usual for a fileserver. Although you should be able to reach 500+ MB/s speeds for your fileserver. The bottleneck is usually not the fileserver itself or the agent running there, but sooner the connection between your file and backup server, the disk on which you put your backup files or the settings in BackupExec. You oculd try to backup directly to tape and see if speeds improve (just for testing purposes, it's not a good idea to plan your day-to-day backups to tape!) Hope the link helps!

CAN_T_restore_i
Level 2
Hi Jeff1981,

Thanks for your help, but base on your lnik refer, it's the problem in the Disk to Disk Backup or SAN environment, but we are just directly backup to LTO2 Autoloader, so is it a different sitution, but is the problem main on the number of the files ?
I've tried the ping test from Backup server to File server, it's <1ms.

Jeff1981
Level 4
Ah, I didn't know that, backing up directly to tape indeed avoids problems that are inherent to disk (slow spindles, fragmented drives, queue lengths, etc.) However, we've staged our backup by first backing up to disk and then duplicating to tape, to stream the backup data to tape. You realise that the way you are backing up now, for every single file, the tape start up, writes the file and then comes to a screeching halt? It's like driving you're car, pulling up very fast and immediately after picking up some speed making an emergency stop. It's very bad for your tapes and autoloader, but for you situation your dealer should be able to inform you better about this :)

Anyway, back on topic: Try to backup a selection of very large files from your fileservers (about 100GB will give you nice performance data) Copy those files to your Exchange server and then create a backup job to backup those files. See wether there's a significant speed difference. From that point we can look further to come to a solution :) By the way, do you have EMC Powerpath installed on any servers?

Message Edited by Jeff1981 on 05-21-200705:03 AM