cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft write errors

ladiver
Level 2

I am using BE12 and just installed a new Superloader3 with LTO-3 drive.  I have brand new media and my first job has tons of soft write errors.  One the first tape, I have 3,002 and on the second tape I have 3,544.  My first tape is full with 400GB of data at a 1:1 compression.  My second tape has 225.3GB at 1:1 compression.

The backup appears to be ok, but this high number is very concerning.  Any suggestions?  I probably should have cleaned the drive first, but I did not.  I will do that tonight and see if that changes anything.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

2 REPLIES 2

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I also have an LTO3 SuperLoader. Most of my daily-use tapes have between 50,000 and 70,000 soft write errors, but they have been in service for over a year now, and I backup 700GB nightly.

If you have 3000 today, 6000 tomorrow, and 9000 the next day, that is probably an issue, but if the number started at 3000 and goes up a little daily, then I might be disinclined to worry about it.

You should also download xTalk and run the drive diagnostics. If this comes back with any errors, then you can trust it and should call Quantum Support.

http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/SDLT600/Index.aspx#Diagno...

(This may be under the SDLT600 drive, but it is what Quantum had me download, and it does work very well).

ladiver
Level 2

Thanks, I will give that a try.  Hopefully the soft write errors remain low.

Jeff