Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden backup failure

Adam_Rock
Level 2
Error:
" e00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed. "
This message appears for each of the 3 local drives I backup. The job does not complete fully. It gets roughly 1/7th (14%) of what should be backed up daily before failing with the above error.

Backup Exec Media Version 10.0 Rev 5484
Windows Server 2003 R2
I noticed this error coincidentally around the time of an upgrade of the OS to R2, and the successful configuration of DFS Namespace replication.

I've tried excluding DFS directories and Symantec AntiVirus directories, but no change.

Any help? (Please don't say "purchase the BackupExec upgrade".)
Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Create a new selection list and point the job to that.

Adam_Rock
Level 2
I tried that, but I still get the same error message: "e00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed."

Any other advice?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Turn up the logging a notsh to file and directory level, then you will see exactly where it is falling down.

It is possible that a domain admin does not have access to some files

Adam_Rock
Level 2
It turns out that Backup Exec Version 10.0 Rev 5484 is NOT compatible with Windows Server 2003 R2. I had recently updated the OS to R2 and thats what made this version of BackupExec not work. So I needed to apply some updates to BackupExec.

MitchR
Level 6
Watch out if you're using DFS shares on that server you upgraded to 2003 R2. There's some known performance and procedure issues.

Check out:
http://www.backupexecfaq.com/faq/problems/dfs-backup-and-performance-issues.html