cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec 11d -GRT Enabled Backup

wasw2009
Level 3
Hi,

We are using GRT enabled Symantec 11 d backup for our exchange 2003. as i can see the backup is completed with some expemptions.
i will not try the restoring, but i can see the induvidual mails . please advise me if i am going to restore one single mail, that around 112 kb size, how much time will take to restore?
is it check all the database?. our database is high.

Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

For restoring a single email, Backup Exec will have to mount the entire information store on the hard drive (If the restore is happening from TAPEs). The time depends on the size of the information store.

Hopt this helps!

wasw2009
Level 3
hello Dev,

Thanks for you reply . in that means to restore 112 kb mail will take more time is in't it?. but somewhere i saw  will restore msg with in seconds if the msg size is too low?

is we can do it while exchange is online?.

Dev,

i have some problem with that backup i mentioned above with some exemptions . please advise me that

Is Exchange 2003 will support

Is Exchange 2003 will support New Build 7170 ?. i am little confusion that our symantec 11 d is runing with build 6235. the backup is completed with exemptions saying that  "The Backup Exec Remote Agent on the resource does not support the option to enable the restore of individual items.  A backup was run, but you will not be able to restore individual items from this backup set."

Any suggestions?.   is symantec 12 d will solve the problem?. i can see the induvidual mails when i click in the restore? but i haven't try to restore it because of message given above?

i am looking forward good solution for that

thank in advance

wilson

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello Wilson,

Its very important in restore single point of view the destination of Backup. If the backups are on TAPES,  Granular restore from tape, while supported, requires a two-stage restore and the Staging area must be a LOCAL Partition.

Even for restoring a single mail of small size, it Backup Exec will stage the entire information store if the Backups are on TAPES, this will not happen in case of a Disk based backup.

Is we can do it while exchange is online? YES...We do not require to dismount the Stores, the restore will be online...

Error: The Backup Exec Remote Agent on the resource does not support the option to enable the restore of individual items

Granular Restore Technology is not supported in 11d Build 6235 on 64-bit Media Servers.
Is your Backup Exec Server  64-bit?

The issue is resolved in Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers build 7170
You can download the recent build from https://fileconnect.symantec.com/ Its a FREE upgrade...

Hope this is helpful!

Let me know if you need more assistance...

wasw2009
Level 3
Hi dev,

Thanks for your valuable information . i am not fully  understand the staging matter requires a two-stage restore and the Staging area must be a LOCAL Partition. if we are restoring a single mail,  is it directly going to that particular mailbox? . am i correct?.
the way is seclet the mail and run now is in it?.
or can i give any local  path for that?
if possible can you send the snapshot for restoring from tape.

one more thing , what is the steps might required  before to  install the Windows Servers build 7170. means should i close the symantec? it will affect any service during the installation? . in that server SQL server also runinig , should i down the SQL?. is restart  needed?

our sever is 64-bit, the symantec 11d is build 6235

Thanks in advance

wilson

wasw2009
Level 3
Hi Dev,

Sorry for distrubing , as i get into the GRT enabled admin guide provided by symantec , i need to clarify  the following details:
the document is describing like that:
If a Backup to tape must be used in conjunction with the GRT feature, make certain that there is sufficient disk space on a NTFS volume local to the media server to perform the restore operation. Disk space equivalent to the size of the database containing the item, or items, to be restored is required.

in that case where is the default location of the while performing the restore from tape? .  i installed the symantec in the c: drive, we don't have much space in the c: drive . how will you  change the path  to  space available in the same server before starting the restore from backup?.

Hope you understand my problem

Thanks

wilson

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Staging means :
1  : The Backups are on TAPES
2  : The TAPE format is different than disk format
3  : Fot GRT Restore the entire Infogmation Stores is Loaded on the Temp area on the Disk and then single email, OR Mailbox is restored from DISK directly to EXCHANGE Server without dismounting the stores.

Please go through the article :
Understanding GRT Backup and Restore functionality in Symantec Backup Exec
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-...

Upgrade Process:
BEFORE DOWNLOADING MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE 32-BIT 11D 6235 OR 64 BIT AND DOWNLOAD BE 11D 7170 ACORDINGLY...

1  : Download Backup Exec 11d 7170 and unzip the file in a folder
BEWS 11.0.7170 32bit

BEWS 11.0.7170 64 bit
http://esdownload.symantec.com/akdlm/CD/MTV/BEWS_11D.7170_X64_VERSION.zip

2  : For safty purpose we will take a backup of our existing BE software.
        -- Stop all the Backup Exec Services.
        -- Stop the SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) service
3  : Go to C:\Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec Folder....(Default)
4  : Copy the DATA and the CATALOGS folder on a safe place (THIS IS THE BACKUP OF OUR SOFTWARE WHICH INCLUDES DATABASE, JOBS, CONFIGURATION, CATALOGS...etc)
5  : Start the SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) service only...
6  : Run the Browser.exe and follow the instructions.....
7  : Complete the install and reboot the server
8  : Run Live Update for Backup Exec
9  : We need to update the remote agents as well...
10: Push install the remote agents on the remote servers, it will prompt you to upgrade..go ahead..

Please let me know if you need any assistance....

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

how will you  change the path  to  space available in the same server before starting the restore from backup?

1  : Open Backup Exec
2  : Select ‘Tools’
3  : Select ‘Options’
4  : On the left side under ‘Job Defaults’ select ‘Restore’
5  : On the right side, on the bottom where it says “Path on media server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items from tape” – Change the default path to another partition with larger disk space.
6  : Then Click on ‘Microsoft Exchange’ under Job Defaults  on the left
7  : In the right, under ‘Microsoft Exchange 2000 and later’ change the temporary location for log and patch files to your new temp location.
8  : Click OK

Please look at this thread
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/grt-restore-tape#comment-3348391

Let me know if you need any assistance....

wasw2009
Level 3
Hi Dev,

Thanks for your Quick reply. i need to clarify one more thing .
i checked how  to update the remote agent in our server. i found install remote agents under the tools in symantec 11d . is it correct way?
i checked in the remote agent utility but i haven't found any 
 install the remote agents .

which one is correct?.

one more thing, as some body saying we can restore only internal mail, is any clarification of that?

how you think about symantec 12

Thanks

wilson

wasw2009
Level 3

Hi Dev,

Our database size around 90 GB . in that cast case how much approx time will take to restore the single small size mail?.
if i go to upgrade symantec 12d , is any improvement for the time to restore?

I am planning to update the symantec 11d soon.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions

wilson

wasw2009
Level 3
Hi dev,

the patch which you give to download the 7170 is not working? can i use the following
https://fileconnect.symantec.com/. is both path will same?

Thanks
wilson

Dev_T
Level 6
Please use the https://fileconnect.symantec.com link.....and download 11d 7170

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As far as my experience goes, for 90GB it will at least take 2 hours

wasw2009
Level 3

Hi Dev,

Thanks for your Quick reply. i need to clarify one more thing .
i checked how  to update the remote agent in our server. i found install remote agents under the tools in symantec 11d . is it correct way?
i checked in the remote agent utility but i haven't found any 
 install the remote agents .

which one is correct?.

one more thing, as some body saying we can restore only internal mail, is any clarification of that?

how you think about symantec 12

Thanks

wilson

Dev_T
Level 6
Lets start