cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Exec backup 2010 R3 Compression

TahaKhlaif
Level 2

Dears

Im using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 TO backup my data into External HD, my problem is the configuration of the Compression as i notice that this software doen't compress the data and this is abig problem for me , so please can u advice

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you are going to a disk (and not a tape device) then no point in setting hardware compression as disks don't suipport hardware compression in that way.

Don't know a huge amount about RDX to know if they do, as such I am talking about SCSI/SAS/FC or USB attached standard disks.

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Put in exclusions for files like *.mp3, *.avi etc. Alternatively look into Incremental/Differential backups, but these will only make your changed backup sizes smaller...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, you should be software compression, rather than hardware compression because you are writing to disk.

Have you checked your joblog to see what kind of compression ratio you are getting?  If your compression ratio is greater than 1, then BE is already compressing your data and it cannot be squeezed further.  If your compression ratio is less than 1 or very poor, then you could be compressing data which is already compressed, like zipped files, movies, sound and picture files.  See my article on this.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV

Hi,

If you have compressed data (say image files, *.pst etc...you can Google a more exhaustive list) you can't compress that data, and at times it actually increases in size.

What you can do is make sure your device is configured for compression by checking that it has the checkbox enabled on the tape drive under Devices, and that your job is scheduled to use Hardware compression, otherwise software. This is done under the Tools --> Options settings.

If this is all on, download your device manufacturer's diagnostic utility and run a compression test. I know that HP's Library and Tape Tools has this functionality (stop the BE services) and then check if there are any warnings/failures.

Thanks!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Please repost in this forum: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/forums/backup-exec

CraigV

...no need to repost and duplicate a query; I've moved it.

TahaKhlaif
Level 2

dears

My backup device is External Hard Driver (Like Wetsern Digital ) NOT Tape so please is is just to check enable the Option " hadrware compression otherwise software" and Thats it

regards

CraigV

...then that's the only selection you would make. Although what sort of compression you will get on an external HDD is another thing...just make sure that Windows is not already compressing that drive.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you are going to a disk (and not a tape device) then no point in setting hardware compression as disks don't suipport hardware compression in that way.

Don't know a huge amount about RDX to know if they do, as such I am talking about SCSI/SAS/FC or USB attached standard disks.

TahaKhlaif
Level 2

Dears

Thanks for reply

my Backup disks are Western digital Passport external hard disks ,also is that possible to run manual compression using other software such as winrar ??

CraigV

You can compress anything with WinRar. Just don't expect to get much compression either on those *.bkf files. You're mostly going to get a 1:1 ratio.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you compress the .bkf and the .img files with winrar then you would have ot unrar them before you can restore them.

TahaKhlaif
Level 2

so what shall i do to reduce the Backup Size

CraigV

Put in exclusions for files like *.mp3, *.avi etc. Alternatively look into Incremental/Differential backups, but these will only make your changed backup sizes smaller...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, you should be software compression, rather than hardware compression because you are writing to disk.

Have you checked your joblog to see what kind of compression ratio you are getting?  If your compression ratio is greater than 1, then BE is already compressing your data and it cannot be squeezed further.  If your compression ratio is less than 1 or very poor, then you could be compressing data which is already compressed, like zipped files, movies, sound and picture files.  See my article on this.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation