cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Backups

AgeasServer
Level 4

Hi,

I raised a forum discussion the other day regarding synthetic backups and how they use the baseline as a reference, i was advised that a baseline backup that is run at the beginning is made redundant when subsequent incrementals and then a synthetic full are run as this takes the place of the original baseline. I have done a test on this and found that this isnt accurate can some clarify, what i have done is listed below

We have multiple D2D folders

In my example the baseline was written to D2D1

Baseline run

Incrementals x5 were run

Synthetic Full was run to D2D 8

I then disabled the D2D1 to make sure it didnt reference the original baseline.

This caused the job to pause as it couldnt reference D2D 1

This to me means that you have to keep the original baseline for future synthetic backups and if needs be the restore can someone just confirm?

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the job that is paused targeting B2D 1?  If so, this is the reason why it is paused.

AgeasServer
Level 4

It tries to reference D2D1 does the whole ---> but why would it do this if the original baseline has been replaced by a synthetic full?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What do you mean by reference?  If you target your job to B2D 1, it will try to use it.

AgeasServer
Level 4

I am not trying to target B2D1

As stated the new synthetic backup that has been run is on B2D 8 therefore there should be no reason for any --->'s from B2D1??? It should all be saying B2D8 ---> then which ever B2D folder it is going to use for the next synthetic full

AgeasServer
Level 4

I am not trying to target B2D1

As stated the new synthetic backup that has been run is on B2D 8 therefore there should be no reason for any --->'s from B2D1??? It should all be saying B2D8 ---> then which ever B2D folder it is going to use for the next synthetic full

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you do the following

- Baseline

- Incremental

- Synthetic

- Disable baseline

- Retry Synthetic (from last running history for job)

OR did you the slightly different test of:

- Baseline

- Incremental Synthetic

- Disable Baseline

- Incremental

- Run Now on Synthetic? (from job definitions/stages list)

If you did the first sequence I doubt it was a valid test sequence

AgeasServer
Level 4

Colin, cheers for response, yeah i can understand that, I have set up a new test job now to hopefully get my head round this rather than retry a job from history which is what i have done earlier.

If it is the case that it gets sorted then i will mark it as a solution thanks