cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sysmantec Backup Exec 2012

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

Recently we plan to purchase a Dell R620 with PV 114X with dual LTO4-120 SAS tape drives.

PV 114X is not a tape autoloader nor tape library. The specs show drives installed are are stand alone and require dedicated SAS cables per drive to be connect to my R620.

I plan to acquire for my three servers:

1x backup exec 2012 media server license (R620 backup server)

2x agent for windows system

2x agents for application and databases

One server is running SQL 2008 the other is running Active Directory and file services. Both OS are windows 2008 R2 ENT.

Questions

- Did I miss any licenses or options above ?

- Do I need to purchase Library Expansion Options (LEO) in order to use the two LTO4-120 tape drives?

As I understand backup exec 2012 supports multiple stand alone tape drives and PV114X is composed of two stand alone tape drives..

-So in this scenario can I run two backup jobs at the same time one backup job per tape drive ?

Hope some one can clarify LEO if i need it or not..

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

LEO is only an option if you're using hardware with robotics and more than 1 drive. You don't need any LEO licenses and can use any number of stand-alone drives with BE.

You're therefore able to run 2 backups at the same time, no hassles.

The rest looks fine too! Just make sure that the number of licenses compares to the number of servers in your environment.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

LEO is only an option if you're using hardware with robotics and more than 1 drive. You don't need any LEO licenses and can use any number of stand-alone drives with BE.

You're therefore able to run 2 backups at the same time, no hassles.

The rest looks fine too! Just make sure that the number of licenses compares to the number of servers in your environment.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

LEO should not be required....PV 114x is a rack mounted enclosure for stand-alone tape drives & not a library...and yes, BE supports multiple stand-alone tape drives without LEO...

Secondly, do you have a single database, i.e. SQL, then just 1 database agent is required...if considering GRT restore for Active Directory, then can consider ADRA license as well...

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

one of my servers has SQL 2008 R2 installed, the other is A Domain Controller and File server..

As I understand I will need the following agents for each server

Agent for windows (Since both servers are Windows 2008 R2 ENT)

Agent for application and database  (one for each server. Since one server runs Active Directory and the other server SQL 2008)

Thanks

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Only if you require GRT restore functionality for AD, then the second Agent for application and database is required, else not...