cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Restore Oddities

Level 2
As described in Document ID 236240, we are trying to restore our Windows 2003 Server at our BCS site (DR) We have installed a base W2K3 and installed BE w/ BW Drivers in a separate folder on a separate drive as perscribed. We can get a inventory and a catalog. What we can't do is restore files. We get a error that BE cannot initialize/connect to the Remote Agent and the restore fails. I wasn't aware that we needed a remote agent on a host with an attached device? Any Ideas?

Other things we have done: Repair the BE installation, tried with and without the Remote Agent, base server is the same name of the machine in production in an isolated environment, target server is NOT a member of a domain and active directory is NOT installed. Thanks...

Jeff Kirk
SBMC
6 REPLIES 6

Ranjith_Parat_2
Level 3
Certified
-Make sure the Backup Exec Remote agent for windows servers is running with the local system account.

-From the command line run the following command
telnet localhost 10000
and ensure that you get 5 junk characters

make sure you are able to ping self (127.0.0.1)

In the backup job properties go to network tab and select the option "Use any available network interface"

Run the restore again...

best wishes

Level 2
Okay, if I understand your reply, we need the remote agent on a local media server and SCSI tape drive? Is this version of BE (9.1) relying on the network to perform the local restore? What's most puzzling is that I have performed many restores with 8.6 and this was never a problem. Just need to be clear for the procedural documentation. Thanks again...

Jeff

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
hi,

Remote Agent gets installed with Backup Exec 9.x installation on the media server. Remote Agent is used for local backup also.

The tape drive should be connected to the media server only.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Proper reply given to the customer.

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
Kindly let us know if the issue persists.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hello Jeff,

Do let us know if you're able to restore data successfully.

Thanks.