cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Access denied Backup exec 9.1

AndrewMcm
Level 2
Hello,
     I was hoping some one could shed some light on this error message I am getting.  Backup exec is running on a Windows 2000 DC that is also the exchange server for this domain.  It is only backing up this server. 

Here is the message in job history.

Set type               : Backup
Set status             : Completed
Set description        : new mon- thurs
Resource name          : \\EXCHANGE\System State
Logon account          : Administrator
Error                  : a0008488 - Access is denied.

Agent used                     : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : No
Image used                     : No

Here is the information for the Job log.

Job ended: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 12:24:02 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa0008488 - Access is denied.

Final error category: Security Errors

Backup - \\EXCHANGE\System?State Access denied to directory Boot Files\.

<script language="JavaScript"></script>

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the media server the same as the Exchange server?

of not, is the agent running as the Local System Account on the Exchange box?

AndrewMcm
Level 2
Hello and Thank you.

Yes the media server is the same machine as the exchange server.   Backup are all done as the domain administrator as this is the DC also. 

BackupAdmin
Level 2
Hello,

BackupAdmin
Level 2
Hello,
 I

BackupAdmin
Level 2
Hello,
  I have the same error on a Sql server running BE 9.1 as the media server.  Backups were running fine until one day several months ago the access was denied to boot files in System State. Symantec recommended the following policy settings: On active directory servers, under local security settings, define these policies with Backup exec user: 1. Act as part of operating system. 2.Create a token object 3. Log on as a service 4. Allow to log on locally 5. Backup Files and Directories 6. Manage auditing and security log 7. Restore Files and Directories 8. Take ownership of files and other objects.  Set domain admin as primary group in Active directory for Backup Exec user. Add BE user in administrators group. HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\BackupExec\Engine\NTFS\RestrictAnonymous Support. Modify to 1.

BackupAdmin
Level 2
Hello,
  I have the same error on a Sql server running BE 9.1 as the media server.  Backups were running fine until one day several months ago the access was denied to boot files in System State. Symantec recommended the following policy settings: On active directory servers, under local security settings, define these policies with Backup exec user: 1. Act as part of operating system. 2.Create a token object 3. Log on as a service 4. Allow to log on locally 5. Backup Files and Directories 6. Manage auditing and security log 7. Restore Files and Directories 8. Take ownership of files and other objects.  Set domain admin as primary group in Active directory for Backup Exec user. Add BE user in administrators group. HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\BackupExec\Engine\NTFS\RestrictAnonymous Support. Modify to 1.
 After performing all of the above, access is still denied to System State boot files. Very curious to your outcome. I suspect something needs to be tweaked in the registry.
Thanks.