cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking Backup of mutiple servers on a single tape

Devang_Patel
Level 4

Hi

we have 1 CAS/HT and 1 MBX Exchange 2010 SP2 servers. we are having IBM LTO-5 ULT 3580 tape drive.

I'm planning to schedule backup as below,

1 MBX Server - Monday - Full and Tue to Saturday Increment -> Schedule to run as FULL Backup on Monday at 12.30AM and Incremental on Tuesday to Saturday at 12.30AM.

1 AD Server - Moday - Full and Tue to Saturday Increment -> Schedule to run as FULL Backup on Monday at 2.00PM and Incremental on Tuesday to Saturday at 2.00PM.

Every week we will replace the Media till one month as totally we are having 4 Media.

Now is it possible to configure these all backup to run on a single tape by configuring as below for one week and then 2nd, 3rd and 4th and then putting the 1st again,

OPP - 14

APP - 12

pls revert back for the same.

regards

Devang Patel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I presume that your OPP and AP settings are in terms of days,  If so, your settings should work.  Your full backup on Mon. should specify overwrite and your incremental jobs should specify append. 

If your backups exceed the capacity of one tape, you would need a 2nd overwritable tape for the job to continue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I presume that your OPP and AP settings are in terms of days,  If so, your settings should work.  Your full backup on Mon. should specify overwrite and your incremental jobs should specify append. 

If your backups exceed the capacity of one tape, you would need a 2nd overwritable tape for the job to continue.

Devang_Patel
Level 4

what do you mean by full backup on Monday should specify overwrite and your incremental jobs should secify append.

if i create one media set called allinone with OPP 14 days  and APP 12 days it will be fine

every week i'll change the media till one month as at present i'm having four numbers of media then the first one and so on.

Regards

Devang Patel

Devang_Patel
Level 4

pls reply

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

pkh is trying to tell you that each job/stage itself has a setting for how it starts and not just which media set it uses and you need to set these appropriately for what you are trying to do

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The append and overwrite settings are properties of each job.