cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tandberg LTO 2 420 Drive Veritas BE 9.1

Danny_Hackett
Level 3
I have seen plenty of queries about the veritas device drivers for BE 9.1 (I have even posted one myself). As this drive is not on the HCL for 9.1 but is for V10, I have tried to use the OEM drivers. In previous posts there has been no reply when they have been advised to do this, do I take it from this that this did work. Has anyone managed to get the above drive working with v9.1?
7 REPLIES 7

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

If the drive that you are using is not in the HCL of Backup Exec v9.1, it is not guranteed that the drive will function correctly with Veritas device drivers. Hence, you can use OEM drivers and check if its working fine.

Regards

Danny_Hackett
Level 3
Thankyou for your reply.
I have had the drive running using NTBackup, but when I have tried to use Veritas 9.1 using the OEM drivers, the drive is recognised but when I ask to carryout a test backup it keeps ejecting the tape and asking for another during the load media function. The tapes are brand new tapes. I was just wondering if anyone has managed to get this drive working with the OEM drivers with Vertitas 9.1 or can give any other pointers.
Many Thanks
Danny

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi Danny!

Try running a quick erase of the tape before it is used for the backup operation!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Danny_Hackett
Level 3
I have given this ago, but any operation as well as a quick erase I get a "invalid physical library argument" I have deselected the pysical library switch within physical device of tandberg drive but still makes no difference.
Any help appreciated. Thanks Danny

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Danny,

Does the problem with the device still persist? Do you get any errors in the Windows event logs when the error "invalid physical library argument" occurs?

Refer to the following technote for more information on this:

Title: The error "Unable to acquire device or media. Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier" occurs in the Backup Exec job log.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237573

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

s_n_2
Level 4
Danny,

Have you fixed this problem? I have also exact situation. We bought Tandberg LTO2 420, but couldn't get it to work with BE 9.1. I haven't tried the OEM though. But when I used it with BE 9.1 driver, I got the exact same error "invalid physical library argument" and the tape will be ejected. It worked okay with NTbackup. Please tell us if you resolved the problem. I just can't justify spending $1200 for BE 10.0 because Veritas doesn't have a driver for LTO2 420.

Thanks

Danny_Hackett
Level 3
Hi,

I am afraid that I had to give up on it. I have since started to use NTbackup for our backups which is working very well. Like you, I could not justify the expense of upgrading to V10.
I am sorry I could not be of more help and wish you the best in resolving your problem.

Danny