cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Library shows as single drive not Tape Library

mred
Level 2

I am using BE 12 on a 2003 SP2 server.  Recently I added an additional tap library to my system and while installing it I ran into some problems, so I removed the old drivers and reinstalled the newest ones for both the old and new tape library the old is a dell IBM Ult TD2 SCSI Sequential Device the new one is a Dell PV TL4000.  Both are now showing up as single tape drives not as tape libraries.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ed P

3 REPLIES 3

LHansen
Level 3

Hi Ed,

Your problem may be hardware-related.    If your SCSI HBA is not configured for Multiple LUN scanning, the system may not be recognizing the Library at POST.  Look in Device Manager for Media Changers.  If the machine recognizes the library, there will be a device called Unknown Media Changer listed.  Then under Tape Devices, there should be a listing for each of the tape drives attached to the SCSI bus.  If you do not observe the Media Changer, reboot the server and observe the SCSI adapter portion of the POST.  All recognized SCSI devices should be listed after the adapter initializes.   If you do not see a listing for the tape library, you should check the following:

• Is the SCSI Adapter configured for multiple LUN scanning?
    • If the Adapter is an adaptec, it should be set for multiple LUN scanning be default
    • If it is an LSI adapter, the default should be for LUN scanning enabled, but it is a configurable setting.

• Is the SCSI bus properly terminated?
    • Some tape libraries come with a WRAP plug for troubleshooting as well as a terminator.  The WRAP plug looks like the terminator and if often installed incorrectly.

Since you see 2 tape devices, it doesn't seem like there is a SCSI address conflict since the library with it's installed tape drive(s) generally use 1 Address with a LUN for the library and one for the drive sled.

Hope this helps

Regards

mred
Level 2

This is what my Server and BE are showing

in device Manager

Tape Dirve

IBM ULT3580-TD4 SCSI (this is the new library)

IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 SCSI

IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 SCSI (these are the old ones)

In BE they only show in the Single-Drive as

Dell 1

Dell 2

IBM 1

the settings before I added the new tape library for the TD2 was port 3, bus 0 TID: 1, 0 for both Dell 1 & 2, but now it shows TID: 1 & 2 respectively

Sometime when both the new and old were first installed and rebooted, they showed up in the Library section but the new one wasn't working so it was suggested to remove the drivers and start from scratch and since then they both don't' work and both are in the Single-Drive area.  Any ideas??

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Not sure why the first library disappeared during troubleshooting, but to see a second library or a second drive in the first library, you need to purchase and install an LEO (Library Expansion Option)