cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape cataloguing failing - unable to see all media sets on tapes

tristencoad
Level 2

Hi there,

Having an issue with one of my customers.  In a nutshell their server decided to die on us.  We have rebuilt it to SVR2008 and re-installed a trial version of BE 2012.

Server is attached to an LTO 4 autoloader.

We can index the tapes but when we catalogue them two things happen.  At the end of a very long process the cataloguing fails.  Second thing that happens is when we look at the tape properties we cant see what is in the Media Set (even though when it catalogues we can see the data),

We have tried the following two tech articles with no success:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH45473

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000024960

Any help, suggestions, tips etc would be really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

tristencoad
Level 2

Apologies - I mean backup sets, not media sets.

Been a long few days!

Let me just clear a few things up. So you have a new media server and you have tapes from the old media server. You first Inventoried the tapes (all or some), then you cataloged the tapes.

The catalog process took a long time and reported an error. Did all tapes report an error or just one and what was the error? Also, did you modify the catalog process? There are two option for catalog type and you can try them both. The default is "Use Storage media-based catalogs" which is usually a quick catalog. BE writes the catalog information on tape so BE doesn't need to do a full catalog. With it unchecked it reads the entire tape for the catalog. Again you try them both.

The second technote you linked is for an Arcserve error. Is the customer getting that error? Are they using the correct tapes?

Hi DarthBilly,

We unticked the two options in Catalogue settings.  Strangely we have tried again retiring the media, creating a new catalogue folder and it appears to be working at the moment.

The tapes are the correct tapes.  We were getting that error.

All being well we'll recover this data and a new server and backup system is on the cards.