cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape library failure

HTH
Level 3

Fails at approximately the same point event ID 129 , Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued. followed by Event ID 11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1

Unfortuantly, both the original library and the new library pass the vendor diagnostics with flying colours. I'm about to set up the original library and card in a test server not running the 6Gbps SAS HBA card to confirm it is a config error with the card and Backup exec.

I can not be the only Dell server/card/library running Backup Exec with this problem.

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is your HBA?

Does it support RAID?  If it does and is not listed in this document, then it is not supported.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

HTH
Level 3

Thank you pkh, from memory it is a non-raid card, As this post was split from another, so I will read my setup up details here.

Dell r710 running serevr 2008 R2, Back up exec 2014 sp1, fully patched

2 x Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA cards (see here )

first card is connected to a Dell MD32xx SAN

Second card is connected to a brand new TL2000 with a single LTO5 drive.

Issue originally occured when we added the first 6Gbps SAS HBA card connected to the SAN, back then the old TL2000 was connected by a Dell 5/e card and was working fine on BE 2010, we then upgraded the 5/e to the 6 so that all the devices were at 6Gbps. Before upgrading the second card, the error only occured on backing up the SAN, but since puting the drives on the same model card, it now occurs on any data (usually failing after 17GB).

I did see another user on the forum had the same issue here with the 6Gbps SAS HBA's and TL 2000 with Backup exec 2010, which we were on, so I upgraded to 2014, but the issue remains.

I have temp set up our old system on another server to test, and it appears to be running fine again. but this is a temparay solution.

Thank you

Aaron

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Aaron,

Have you upgraded the firmware on the SAS card and the library itself? The card is compatible with the TL2000, as per the specs listed on the link you provided.

Thanks!

HTH
Level 3

Yes, both firmware and drivers have been installed but the issue is still occuring, As it is a production server I will not be able to take it offline till Sunday and have a good tinker then, I think I have some scsi id issues, but been unable to determin where I can change the id on either the tape drives or SAS cards.

I will have a tinker again tonight, and will update on Sunday

HTH
Level 3

Results of Sundays efforts

I removed all drivers and ran a clean install, I have confirmed the 6 Gbps SAS card is compatiable with BE2014, Fired up the server, confirmed Symantec drives loaded for the Tape Drives and ran some testing

Fails at between 10-17 GB with the id 11 SCSI reset issue, whether backing up from SAN, Network or Local Disk.

Tested the 5/e card on the old Tape drive, and backs up most fine, but recieved an id 11 reset error half way through backing up the SAN on another server (which is still connected via the same card).

Everything is pointing back to an issue with both 6Gbps cards, Before I upgraded and added the second SAS card, it would 95% of the time fail backing up from the SAN only, since adding the second card it now fails every time.

Looking at trying to borrow 2 other Brand 6Gbps SAS cards to swap in and test if it works then.

Spoke to Dell and they stated that there test enviroment runs the SAS cards Backup Exec and TL fine. Unsure what is different with my setup.

Aaron

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

..tell Dell to log onto your system and collect diagnostics and then advise accordingly.

HTH
Level 3

Thank you

Dell have reported multiple issues, Waiting on a replacement LTO-5 Drive , then will go back to trouble shooting the rest, will update in a few days

Aaron