cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape library won't advance. Uses same tape over and over.

Kevin_Featherst
Level 2
This problem began 01/02/07 (Oh No - Y2K7 problem). I'm using an Exabyte 1x7 loader and it has worked perfectly until the year rollover. Here is a snapshop from the log - NOTE THE Overwrite Protection and appendable dates!!:

Drive and media information from media mount: 1/4/2007 2:00:30 AM
Robotic Library Name: EXABYTE 1
Drive Name: IBM 1
Slot: 4
Media Label: A00004
Media GUID: {a6f05971-9973-435b-97de-2c70a7151240}
Overwrite Protected Until: 12/31/1899 7:00:00 PM
Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 7:00:00 PM
Targeted Media Set Name: Daily Backup Media

All Media Used
A00004
----------------------

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Kevin

Your Backup Exec server has lost its head, with and overwrite protection period ended a century ago!

Try restarting the Backup Exec services or redefining the media sets so that something with sense is shown in the log.

Regards

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Kevin,

What is the Overwrite Protection period and Append period of the Mdia set to which the tape belongs.

Also what is the option selected uder Tools>Options>Media Management.

=================

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Turn overwrite period to 0 and increment forward by one day everytime you complete a backup until you cover your overwrite period again. Whilst you are doing this you will only be able to put in the tapes you require for that night's backup

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Kevin,

Can you Update us on the Issue?

Thanks
Regards

Kevin_Featherst
Level 2
Sorry for the delay responding. My problem has indeed been solved. It was related to overwrite protection on the media set. I do not need to prevent overwrites, so I set the overwrite protect to "0" hours. Strangely, Backup Exec stamps the media Overwrite Protected Until: 12/31/1899 and Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 to get the net effect of 'always allow overwrites'. This had always worked for me with standalone tape drives. When I started using the new loader, it would scan the first slot it came to and sense the overwrite protection set to none and use the tape. Since that tape was always set to be overwritable, there was no reason for Backup Exec to advance the loader to a new slot. My loader has six slots, plus the cleaning cartridge. To resolve, I set the overwrite to 5 days on the media set. This forces the loader to advance appropriately.

Thanks for the assistance.

Kevin