cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape replacement

Qingyan_Lim
Level 4

Hi all,

I have two different sets of tapes, 7 tapes each (let it be set A and B). So if i replace the tapes from set B with set A into the tape drive, would the existing data in set B be wipe out?

Regards,
Qingyan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. That is correct.  You need to do an inventory to let BE be aware of the new tapes and the data on the tape is protected by the OPP.

BE can operate without barcode labels, but barcode labels are very much more efficient.  For example, doing an inventory on 1 tape can take at least one minute, whereas doing a scan  of the entire library will only take a couple of seconds.

If you want to start using barcode labels, take a look at my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The data would not be wiped out. Any data that is written to the tapes when they are removed from the library would be retained on the tape until they are reinserted and the tape is over written. Your OPP and APP would determine whether or not the tapes in question would be overwritable or appendable. Please see the following documention on OPP and APP

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

Qingyan_Lim
Level 4

Hi Donald,

So if i replace the set of tapes or any of the tapes, I would still need to do anything on the BE 2012? Like inventory, scan... ?

Regards,
Qingyan

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Assuming that your 2 set of tapes have different tape labels, there should be no problem replacing one set with another.  What you need to to do is

1) open your magazines

2) remove the old set of tapes and replace it with the new set of tapes.

3) return the magazines to the tape library

4) do a scan if you use barcode labels.  Otherwise, do an inventory if you are not using barcode labels.

That is it.  BE will mark the tapes that are not in the library as offline.  When you return them to the library and repeat the action above, then they would be marked online and can be used.

You always do a scan/inventory after you change tapes in the library, so that BE is aware of the tape change.

If you are replacing one set of tapes with another set of tapes with the same labels, then it is another story.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As mentioned above by PKH "Thumbs up sir" you would absolutely need to inventory/scan each time you introduce new media into the library so that Backup exec is aware. 

Qingyan_Lim
Level 4

Hi all,

Correct me if I am wrong. I have two sets of tapes for me to utilize and not using barcode label. So when I replace one set of tapes with another (there is data store in the tapes), it shouldn't be erase depending on the OPP and APP setting on the tapes. So once I replaced the tapes, I would need to Inventory the tapes that are replaced for BE to aware of the new tapes.

But pkh, for my case I am not using barcode label on the tape so it should be alright for me?

Regards,
Qingyan

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. That is correct.  You need to do an inventory to let BE be aware of the new tapes and the data on the tape is protected by the OPP.

BE can operate without barcode labels, but barcode labels are very much more efficient.  For example, doing an inventory on 1 tape can take at least one minute, whereas doing a scan  of the entire library will only take a couple of seconds.

If you want to start using barcode labels, take a look at my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how