Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 SDR How does it select disks to add

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi

When selecting a Windows System for an SDR enabled backup, it’s not always enough to select C: and System State to make the job SDR enabled. Sometimes you need to select d:\ (usually as a program is installed on d:\) SDR will detect witch drives you need to be able to do an SDR enabled backup.

Is there any way that I can see why a certain drive is selected to be included in a SDR job?

I have a case at a customer, where we are trying to da a SDR backup of the server, but when we enable SDR the Q:, R: and S: drives will be selected, though we only have fileshares on these drives(se picture)

We run the Q: R: and S: drives in separate backup definitions, as they are large.

Regards 

Jesper Berth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If this Arkiv is linked with any application, backup exec may feel it is important and needed for recovery. Here is a way to exclude such items.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exclude-files-simplified-disaster-recovery-sdr-backup-...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Generally Backup exec looks for any system files or any installed components on the entire server. If you uncheck any of the drives where Backup Exec find these components then SDR will be diabled.

Thanks

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Rahul

I understand that, but where does it retrieve the information from.

If you look at the picture SDR.jpg in the original post, the S drive only has on Folder "Arkiv" (Besides $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information). 

This is a simple share where users are storing old projects, so i cant see why this folder should be important for the SDR to be enabled.

Regards, Jesper Berth

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

If this Arkiv is linked with any application, backup exec may feel it is important and needed for recovery. Here is a way to exclude such items.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exclude-files-simplified-disaster-recovery-sdr-backup-...

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you Jaydeep

I guess that BE looks in the registry for files to include, i will try to search the registry again to see if i can find any refereances to the Arkiv folder