cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Job FAILED with the following error AGAIN

Kit_Larson
Level 3
"The job failed with the following error: A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged."

This is a duplicate policy based job, going from disk to tape which starts as soon as the D2D job is done.

I have tried with brand new tapes, used tapes, all fail after filling up the first 2 sdlt tapes (there is a total of 4 needed)

When I do a manual backup of the D2D files, it works fine.

This DOES NOT WORK http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275607.htm

I am using 11d with hf 2,6 and 8.

Anybody having the same issue? Is there a resolution to this?
6 REPLIES 6

Alvinesh_Jugun
Level 2
Check that you are not overwriting the b2d files during backup.

Kit_Larson
Level 3
Thanks for the reply. The job does not overwrite the disk files, it's going from disk to tape. Running a manual backup job works perfectly. Going thru the forum, I have seen other people with the same issue, but what is the resolution?

Bj_rn_Halstad
Level 4
Employee
Try and right click on the policy and do delete jobs created by policy. Then delete the duplicate template in the policy. Create new duplicate template and and when done create new jobs using policy.

Kit_Larson
Level 3
Thanks for the reply. I have done that 2 times now, same result. Placed another call to Support on this one.

jimmyb
Level 3
I too am having this error. Checked the registry setting as recommended in:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275607.htm
Although in 11 it's in this location (presumably) so that may have something to do with why this fix doesn't work.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Tape Format

If anyone has any updates it'd be great to know of them. Here's some details about my problem:

I'm running a full backup of some SQL databases using remote agent. Version 11 (no hotfixes, although I should probably look into ones that I need)
The backup is to disk and after completion (which is successful) it kicks off duplicate to another disk. Both jobs go to a media set that is infinitely appendable but has at least 2 day overwrite protection.

The job operation section of the job log contains the following:
Media operation - overwrite.
Compression Type: Hardware

The query for media sequence number 1 of this media family was unsuccessful.
Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.

Kit_Larson
Level 3
I will spare you my thoughts on this product, but I did get this to work.

1. Backed up, then did a clean install of 11D (with HF 2,6,9)
2. Deleted and recreated all jobs/policies/templates
3. Created a media set for each weeks tapes, setting overwrite protection to 3 weeks and Append to 0 hours. Previously, all the weekly and monthly tapes were in 1 media set, BE didn't like this.
4. In the Dupicate template (to tape) I chose "Overwrite Media" (previously it was set to Append, the overwrite)
5. For Media Management, I deselected "Prompt before overwriting imported media" (we use Partial)
6. Replaced RAID controller with U320 Scsi controller (this was our fault, as they don't recommend connecting tape drive to raid controller)

Any more issues like this, we are going to go with xcopy and disk to disk.