Did you mean: 

The directory is invalid - BE 2014 SP1

dori_bashan
Level 6

Hi

We have a weird issue with BE 2014 SP1.

We use Server 2008 R2 SP1

We backup to tape using Full and Incremental backup jobs

We have the Enterprise Server Option so we use True Image Restore (using catalogs)

Now,

Assuming that yesterday, my backup selection looks like that:

D://Folder1/Folder A/File1

D://Folder1/Folder A/File2

And those two files were backup to tape,

Today, i have rename "File1" and "File2" to "File3" and File4", so the selction looks like this:

D://Folder1/Folder A/File3

D://Folder1/Folder A/File4

I can assume that those two files should be backup to tape again, and the job will be succsesful

Instaed, those two files are backing up to tape again, but the job result a "Job Failed - The Directory is invalid"

Is that normal or am i doing something wrong?

We can't upgarde to SP2 at the moment as we have several large backups running, and i know that after installing SP2 i should run a Full backup

Thanks

Dori

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the TN below helps troubleshoot your error:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71493

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you specifically select a file for backup by name and then rename the file the backup selections will NOT be changed in the job selections and you will get the error.

Irrespective of True Image restore being enable or NOT, the individual selections in your job MUST be against items that do not change their names or paths. If you click the details view of the backup selections (to see a text based list) instead of using the GUI tree selection area you will see how the selections are made and why it caused an issue.

Bacially to test true image restore you should  select the containesr (such as folders or volumes) that the files are in for the backups and then play about with renaming the files. Don't specifically select the files that you intend to rename.

dori_bashan
Level 6

thanks

On the selection list we do specify the root folder - Folder A - and not the actual files.

This is why this is strange.