cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The specified network name is no longer available

Michael_Dauria
Level 2
We have BE running on a server here, every night we have backups that occur locally in the office. We were concerned about some possible disasters that could occur in the office here, so we bought a NAS that we installed in one of the other buildings here. The buildings are connected via a dish, in fact our internet connection comes through the dish from this other building. I browse the internet and use email and everything but don't notice any network problems. Anyhow, we have BE setup to use this NAS in the other building, we have the device mapped using the UNC name. The backup always starts but after copying a couple gigs of data, it just terminates and complains that "The specified network name is no longer available". If I go look in BE I can see the device is there and still online. How do I get the backups to work? BE is runing with the latest patches on a win2003 machine, the remote NAS is a LACIE ethernet disk runnig embedded XP.
4 REPLIES 4

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

To isolate down the cause of the problem.
1. Try to recreate the Backup to disk folder
2. Also try to copy some data from the BE server to the NAS box, over the network.
3. also try to split the backup job, check if the job works fine if smaller amount of data is been backed up fine

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Leslie_2
Level 3
We have a very similar problem - see http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=54332&tstart=60
I'll let you know if we get anywhere (waiting for a reply at present). Since we backup up to 50G a night and last time it died after 2G I suspect the multiple jobs solution wouldn't work for us, alas. Would be worth looking in the event log for the first application error to see if it's the same as ours.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if you have tried above mentioned solutions to get an update on the status of this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Michael_Dauria
Level 2
Nope, I had tried all those things before I even posted. Since we backup 90Gigs of data I thought a smaller backup job would be better, so I broke it down so it backs up each server individually. Sometimes it stops and says a device is offline but since I am backing up three machines I have three folders on the same NAS device, one device shows as offline but the others appear online and I can backup to them. If I recreate the backup-to-disk folder or reboot the machine then I can see it again.