cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting Temporary High Server Utilization

NHBob
Not applicable
I am in the process of troubleshooting why our Win 2003 server becomes unavailable for approx 30 seconds at the same time everyday. (12:45PM everyday)

While monitoring the Task Manager at the server,  I noticed tha tthere was significant hard drive activity, but the Task Manager would only jump to approx. 20% utilization, with the majority of that being the "System" process (not System Idle). At the onset of the busy time of the hard drives, I noticed "Beserver" jumping in % taken and then drop off, and then right at the end of the high hard drive activy, I noticed Beserver take another leap in CPU utilization and drop off. I noticed this all yesterday.

This leads me to believe that BE was doing something that uses the hard drived so much, all other process  freeze momentarily. During the period of intense activity, I have tried to load IE on the server, and it will not load until the end of the period of high activity.

Today, I disabled/stopped all BE services running on the server before the daily period of high disk activity. Guess what? No period of high activty.

Database maintenance is set for 4:00AM

What else could be going on that could take so much out of the server?
0 REPLIES 0