cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True Image Restore Catalogs

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Is anyone using the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option, with Synthetic Backups and True Image Restore?
I'm trying to understand how the catalogs work with these options, in order to decide whether to buy ADBO or not.

Basically if you did not have ADBO, and you backed up to disk, you could replicate your backups to another site, leaving you with just the B2D files in the event of a disaster. These could then be inventoried and catalogged, and you have all your data back.

If you use the True Image Restore option, the Administrator's Guide implies that the additional True Image data is stored in the catalogs. If this is correct then you also need your catalogs as well as the B2D files in the event of disaster (otherwise you'd have no True Image data).

Have I understood this correctly? Can anyone using the ADBO option confirm that the additional data is stored in with the normal catalogs?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Hywel,

I'm looking up the information for you on this one.   But if I remember correctly about the True Image option (been a while since I used it), the additional catalog information is stored in the header of the B2D files.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
If tht's the case it would be great (and I think it would make sense from a design point of view), however I came across this technote, which makes me think otherwise. :(
I guess this means you have to make sure you don't prune your catalogs too aggressively too.