cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add server using "User Defined Selections" Item Not Found

Robert_Feenan
Level 2
I am trying to add a server that is behind a firewall to the list of servers that I backup.

I've spent most of the morning on the phone with support and thought we figured out the problem. The remote userid was in the Admin group in Win2003 as well as the Backup Ops group. Since hanging the phone up, I've not been able to select this server when I add it to the user defined selections. I get the error "Logon account "System Logon Account" failed to access "\\123.456.789.123 (not real addy). the item was not found.

The back up machine sits behind a firewall, the target machine sits behind another firewall. I control both firewalls and both machines have full acces to the other in the firewall. All ports are open for these two machines to talk to each other through the firewall.

From the Backup Machine:
I can map to the target server
I can Ping the target server
I can edit the registry of the target server
I can remotely administer the target server
All using the Bexec userid that exist on both machines.

Also, the service is running using the Local System Account on the target server.

I can NOT add it to the User Defined Selections list.

Before I opt to search out another backup solution, is there anyone who can help me?

Thank You
Bob Feenan
Old Veritas Case Number: 280-506-780
7 REPLIES 7

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
couple of shotgun fixes you might try:

only the remote agent should run as the local system, all other veritas services should run as your BE Service account on the domain (aka, "system logon account").

try using the name of the target server in the backup selection, esp. if any of the involved servers are win9x/ME or pre-NT 5. i know it shouldn't matter, but it does.

try fully qualifying the logon account in the accounts window, either with computer\user or user@domain.dns.com.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the problem with adding the remote server to 'user defined selections' persist? Had you tried out the steps suggested in the previous reply to your thread? If the issue persists, revert with answers to the following questions:

- What is the OS on the remote server?
- You could rather back it up from remote selections. Why are you creating user defined selections?
- Ensure that the backup exec services are running under the admin account.

- Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Robert_Feenan
Level 2
HI,

All servers involved are Windows 2003 Std.

All Agents are running under "Local System Account"

I can not "See" the remote server through the firewall using Veritas, that is why I didn't use remote selections.

All services are running under a account which is only in the Administrators group. There was a time while I was on the phone with Suppor that I could see the drives on the remote server, but I've not been able to duplicate that again since.

I tried using the server DNS name in the user defined selections and that produced the same results.

And as far as "...try fully qualifying the logon account in the accounts window, either with computer\user or user@domain.dns.com..." I'm not quite sure where I would do this.

Thanks again for your help.

BobF

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
since you've already mentioned the firewall, i assume you've allowed 10000 and the other veritas ports? if not, see
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/194182.htm and
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276538.htm

there are several services involved, on the media server, all the services should be running under the veritas service account that was set up during the install. usually this is a domain account with, at least, backup access on your target servers.

on the target servers, there should be one service, the remote agent (or more, if you have database, exchange or notes agents). remote agents should run under local system. the media server usually has a remote agent.

under the "network" menu, there should be an option "logon accounts". ensure all of these are correctly qualified, including the domain or computer they exist in. these accounts must have at least backup rights to the appropriate target server, per below. also, check the system logon account and make certain it has administrator control on the media server.

on the job setup page, select the job you're having trouble with and double click. go to the resource credentials heading, and ensure each of the target servers has the correct entry from the "logon accounts" page above.

the easiest way to ensure everything is correct is to use the system logon account against all your target servers.

Robert_Feenan
Level 2
Hi, Thank for the reply.

I have both firewalls involved fully open for the IP addresses of the backup machine and the target server.

I verified all of the above and came up with the following:

On the backup machine I changed the remote agent from Local to the userid I created on install. The rest of the services are all running with this same userid.

On the backup machine I added a new Network/Option/Logon account to be fully qualified based on the target machine's name. ie: servername/beupid

I created a new job adding just the target machine's IP address and that failed.

I then changed that job's logon to be the newly created fully qualified servername/beupid and that failed.

I even changed the type to a "common account" and that failed.

All these servers are in workgroups, and not part of a bigger domain. Which may be part of the problem.

I've even added "IN" and "OUT" access to both the firewalls. Usually I would only put the backup machine in the target machine's firewall, but here I added both target and bacup to both firewalls. I don't think the firewall is the problem, since I can do other things through them. ie PING, MAP, REGEDT32 remotely, etc. There is just something in Veritas that is not letting me do what I want to do.

Thanks again for your detailed responses, I really do appreciate them.

BobF

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
i think we can rule out a firewalling problem.

i've never tried to use veritas with workgroup servers, i assume it would function correctly, but i'm not sure. perhaps there is a tech-note?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello

Add the server name and ip address of the media server in the host file on the remote server and vice versa.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.