cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to do redirected restore of virtual machine

MarkEG
Level 3

I am testing restoring a virtual machine backed up by BE 2012 Sp4 to a ESX 5.5 host, I originally redirected to a local share on the BE server and uploaded to a datastore but got a "Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7" error, I reviewed and found this article, https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-vm-be2012. Have attempted to restore via the "To a different vCenter or ESX server" however cannot get past the "What vCenter or ESX server do you want top restore the data to?" form. Can fill in the ESX name, account but I cannot enter the virtual machine folder, I can browse but never able to select a folder, whenever I browse for a virtual machine folder whatever I select, no matter how I create the folder, I cannot take OK and hence cannot perform the restore. Any help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per the above settings, a VM named "VS-168TestRestore09012015" will be created and the .vmdk files will be present in the ATQArchive datastore.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6

Is this virtual host licensed for VADP ?

EDIT**

I just tested at my end. Per your screenshot, you should be able to expand VS-168TestRestore and then select the datastore.

Virtual Machine Folder option appears if you have defined vSphere folders already, else not and they would be greyed out for selection.

MarkEG
Level 3

Thank you for your reply, Yes, it won't let me select an existing vSphere folder, it is greyed out but the doco indicates I can select a folder and the button is active? All licenses are applied as per attached screenshots. I have ignored selecting the folder and put in a Virtual machine name and it allows me to create the restore job, so I presume this will create a vSphere folder and add it to the host?

VJware
Level 6

I have ignored selecting the folder and put in a Virtual machine name and it allows me to create the restore job, so I presume this will create a vSphere folder and add it to the host?

A vSphere folder will not be created automatically.

Can you pls post a screenshot of the existing vSphere folder hierarchy from your vCenter client ?

MarkEG
Level 3

Sure, Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

Per your screenshot, I do not see any existing vSphere folders.

I have attached a screenshot as to how an existing folder appears.

MarkEG
Level 3

OK, so I think that is where I am getting it wrong, I have connected to the vCenter Server and we have no folders, I the folder being reffered to was the folder on the datastore that contained the VM files.

So with the settings I have attached that will restore the VM in a folder called called VS-168TestRestore09012015 on the ATQArchive Datastore and register it under that name in vSphere? 

VJware
Level 6

Per the above settings, a VM named "VS-168TestRestore09012015" will be created and the .vmdk files will be present in the ATQArchive datastore.

MarkEG
Level 3

Thank you