cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make Tape storage work with BE 2012

Alan0001
Level 3

Hello,

We are trying to setup a BE 2012 ( evaluation version ) to allow data backups on to tape drives.

Running BE 2012 on windows 8 server.

We have a Dells PV LT2000 connected to the server via SAS interface. We have a Robotic library with 12 LTO6 tape drives .

Under Slots , I can see the tape drives labelled with barcode labels , however tape drives are showing "0 bytes capacity"

Things I have checked/done :

* Tape drivers are installed.

* Autochanger drives are native to Windows , hence shows Unknown Autochanger device in Device Manager

When i try to clean the Tape Drive , it gives error. Export/Import and "Inventory now" both give errors.

Before we installed Windows 8 on the server , it had linux with Baculla. I had labelled Tape drive then and ran some checks on the tape which were a success.

Post that we decided to drop Baculla and go ahead with BE 2012. However , I am unable to make tape work with BE 2012

Followed tape troubleshooting steps mentioned in the link and all seems to be fine.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24414    

I am not sure if I missed out anything or the issue is due to using bacula on tape drives before putting then on BE 2012.

If yes , how do i change it default ?

I have attached screen shots in the thread.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...there is no multipathing with tape drive...just make sure your configuration from a hardware perspective is correct.

Thanks!

Alan0001
Level 3

Yes , tape does not support multipathing :)

Okay , Seems the issue is now fixed .

* I can see space of all the tape cartridges

* I was able to write 400mb of data and now testing with data size of 700 GB

--> What we did 

* Removed 1 SAS cable and rebooted both tape and Media server ( do not know the order of reboot )

* I was now able to see 1 tape drive in Device Manager . However , it kept going offline.

All operations gave following error :

The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Robot not found.

I was unable to see media changer in the device manager.

Scan for hardware changes didnt show autochanger as well

So I removed all tape drives using BE driver utility since BE still showed 2 tape drives . Rebooted the server.

Installed drivers again and rebooted again. I was now able to see autochanger , however kept getting above mentioned error.

After ensuing all drivers are updated and correct , i rebooted Tape and media server in the respective order.

Post reboot i was able to see space for all cartridges and was able to write to tape. 

I am not sure whether it was 2 paths or the order of reboot that solved the issue.

Will work to find out in next few days .

Thanks everyone for their help to solve the issue.

Regards,

Alan