cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to read Backup Exec 12.5 RD1000 media in a different server

penniwise100
Level 3
Hi:

I have a 2008 R2 server with BE 12.5 fully patched. I'm running jobs just fine to a few RD1000 cartridges. What I would like to do is take the completed backup (copy job or regular full that run to the cartridges) fom the 2008 R2 server and plug it into a different 2008 server (not R2 but runs fully patched BE 12.5) and run the contents of the RD1000 cartridge off to the LTO2 tape drive that is connected to that server for long term backups. The problem is when I connect the RD1000 cartridges up to the 2008 server they do not show up as a drive letter. If I go to storage manager in windows it wants me to initialize it as if it's new media. If I put the cartridge back into the 2008 R2 server I can read the data on it just fine in explorer and in BE.

Any ideas why this happens? Maybe I'm just missing something simple?

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

penniwise100
Level 3
What I was attempting to do was to connecty the RD1000 cart via a USB dongle to the 2008 server. THe reason I couldn't see it was because I needed a DEll RD1000 dock (sneakey guys). Anyway, I bought one off ebay, connected it up and now my copy jobs work just fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
First thing, BE 12.5 on Windows 2008 R2 is an unsupported installation. Next, In order to get it working with Backup Exec, first you would need to get it detected by Operating System. So, from disk management when it sees the drive, it will need to be initialized. When initialized, it would add signature to the disk. Then it should detect the drive letter and data should be read in windows explorer. Only then, would you be able to create a backup to disk device in Backup Exec software on new machine.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

penniwise100
Level 3
I'm not sure I was clear, this response doesn't quite address my question.

I'm able to run BE just fine on 2008R2 and back everything I want using it to the RD1000 cartridges. I can read/restore from them on the 2008R2 server. What I cannot do is take the RD1000 cartridge from the 2008R2 server and plug it to the 2008 server and see the data, it cannot see the cartridge.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this question and this is more of a RD1000 question I should be posing to Dell. Anyway, thanks for the reply

penniwise100
Level 3
What I was attempting to do was to connecty the RD1000 cart via a USB dongle to the 2008 server. THe reason I couldn't see it was because I needed a DEll RD1000 dock (sneakey guys). Anyway, I bought one off ebay, connected it up and now my copy jobs work just fine.