cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to select backup servers drives

Allay_DeManny
Level 4
Hi, I've install backupexec v10d on my win2k3 server. The install seemed to go thru flawlessly. However when I go to create the backup job I am unable to select any of the servers drives (they are not listed).

The tick box for the server is grayed-out, and if you hover the mouse over the servers name (in the selections list) it pops up the message "not selectable because some sub-items cannot be backed up".

Any ideas what might be the problem or how I can troubleshoot this further.

TIA.
-H
8 REPLIES 8

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Do you mean the local drives on the Backup Exec server or drives on a remote host?

Allay_DeManny
Level 4
I am unable to select any of the backupexecs servers own drives.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
I would try two things:

1.) Stop/Restart all Backup Exec Services and see if this fixes it.

2.) Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs-> Veritas Backup Exec and run a 'Repair' action on your installation.

Allay_DeManny
Level 4
I've tried repairing, also uninstalling and then re-install with the same (failed) result.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
For the backup job, in the "View format" click on "Text", then "Insert", see if you can open up the local selections from there.

You can also type in the path you want to backup in the text view, for example:
C:\
D:\
\\ServerName\System?State\

Try the above, run a backup to see if Backup Exec can see the local drives this way.

Allay_DeManny
Level 4
No I can't select the drives via the "text" - "insert" option either. Interestingly I created a backup job to backup just the c: and e: drives using the text method and it failed with the below result......

Job ended: 21 October 2005 at 13:22:31
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors

The account used for the backupexec services is an administrator of the local machine but is not a domain admin. Does this help shed light on the problem????

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Yes it does :) I thought it was an issue with the account you are using. The Backup Exec service account must have domain admins rights, plus Backup Operator rights as well. And the user account you are using (the "logged on" user) must have these rights too.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please give BE account domain admin rights and then verify the result.
Please update the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.