cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Logon Account info through SQL query

khunley73
Level 2

Does any one know if there is a way to write a SQL query that will update the logon account password?  Let me explain.  Our network has almost 50 servers that have Bkup Exec 10d installed on them and we periodically need to change the passwords for security measures.  In the past, my co-workers have logged into each server to make the changes, which is very time consuming.  I figured it would be much faster and easier to write a script that updates the information directly in the SQL table; however, the SQL table that contains that password has the password encyrpted in Japanese Kanji, so I'm not  sure if I can update the information this way.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
I am not sure about the SQl query but easy way to do would be using the BEuitility Where in you can add all the server and update the credentails easily

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We have had this crop up before - the passwords in the DB are hashed/encrypted and the password and user accounts together are check summed (in an attempt to make hacking harder) so any attempt to change them outside of the console itself causes problems (Especially if you mess with the System Logon Account.)

Also BEUitlity only changes the service account credentials it does not change the resourse credentials held within the database.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There is possibly some account manipulation you can do with bemcmd.exe (the command line tool) that might help though, although as it is command line it would have to be driven from a .CMD file so plain text passwords would then be available in the CMD file.

Note: I am thinking of bemcmd -o213 (with -pw and -pl -d  switches) there is documentation available for Bemcmd  in a Command Line Guide that should be available via the download on our support site.

khunley73
Level 2
Thanks, Colin.  OK, I will see if I can script something out using that command. 
I had a feeling that updating the info through SQL wasn't going to fly, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway!