cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Hard Disks

create_share
Level 6
Hi!

I need to upgrade my Backup Exec 2010 Hard Disks which contain backup and DLO Data for my users and servers. What is the recommended way to transfer the data on another medium like tapes, upgrade the Hard disks and transfer it back so that everything start working the same way it was?

Secondly, what are the RAID Level recommendations for Backup Exec 2010 both for Operating System and Backup Drives?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Basically you need to do a Disaster Recovery of that server

See the Admin Guide under Preparing for Disaster Recovery and Disaster Recovery

Basically:

get a good backup (if possible shut down all unneccessary services

shut down the server

swap drives   (make a note of which drives are in what array slots in case you need to back out the upgrade)

do your recovery to the new drives

create_share
Level 6
ok thanks. i will try and come back.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can use Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR)  which gives you the option to restore to any other hardware and also has features like re-partitioning or extending the volume size during restore. BESR is more suitable product for restoring a complete server as it takes a sector level backup.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
But that is a whole different product, and totally un-needed for what the OP was asking

create_share
Level 6
sorry i could not get a proper solution which i can use to restore my data after changing the Hard Disks in Admin Guide. Is there any example video or document specifically for this? Can Backup Exec Online Support provide help with this?

Thanks!