cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 10.0 to 10D now backups slow

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
Upgrade from 10.0 to 10D now backups slow. 10D are about half the speed of 10.0. Both the local server (media server) and remote servers. Upgraded agents and AOFO. Installed the latest tape driver. I have checked all the normal tech documents. No other changes were made. Uninstalled 10d and agents and re installed 10.0 and backups are back to normal.
29 REPLIES 29

Robert_Prinz
Not applicable
Was this issue ever resolved?
I'm asking because I might have to upgrade to version 10.1 as we are now installing SQL 2005 databases within our company and only version 10.1 supports it.

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
Never resolved. We are a reseller and have customers that we have upgraded. Some have problems and others work fine. No common thread.

Brian_Pavnick_2
Level 3
Interesting, I was wondering what was up. I actually just migrated from CA BrightStor 11i to Veritas BackupExec 10d and noticed a huge performance hit. I opened up a case with Veritas but got the same run around.

I upgraded our hardware from DLT80's to LTO3 and DTD. I see both a speed and compression hit.

My DLT80's typically got around 300mb/min on my CA software and around a 1.8:1 compression ratio (One of our larger file servers).

With Veritas BackupExec 10d and LTO3's and DTD backups I am seeing any where from 150MB/Min to 800MB/Min. I would say avg is around 400MB/Min. I would have suspected my backup times would have improved dramatically going from DLT80's to LTO3 and DTD (SATA Array with 12 disks). My compression is 1:1... no matter what I am backing up.

Alessandro_De_L
Not applicable
Same big performance problem for me, no news from symantec? I am wondering if I need to came back to ver. 10.0, but I hope in some news... neither new tape drivers nor Sp1 worked...

Paul_Scalzo
Level 3
I have just upgraded (clean install) to 10d (sp1). Performance is 1/2 of what I was seeing with 9.1 SP4. This is quite discouraging, especially after 25 hours of testing and troublshooting. At this rate I'll be extening my back up window by 10 hours. Last week with 9.1 SP4 I was seeing almost 800MB per min on our file servers, now 398 MB. Same with Exchange, except I'm down from 2500MB per min to 700MB on the information store.

I'm having CA Birightstore nightmares now. Those days almost had me considering gardening as a new career.

I hope this gets addressed soon, this is a very serious problem for an important task.

Dell PV132T, LTO3.

AH-39160

WIN23K SP1

All drivers are up to date and correct versions.Message was edited by:
Paul Scalzo

Paul_Scalzo
Level 3
I have installed 10.0.(SP4) Speeds are back to normal. In fact faster than my 9.1 installation.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Pleases let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can archive this post.

However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

Install SP1 of BEWS 10d and try backups again

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282818

Also if you are backing up to device,check the device compatibility and then installed latest veritas device drivers.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
What has SP1 done to correct the slow backup problem? The previous post said he installed 10d (sp1) and had the problem. I don't feel like spending hours installing and having to go back to 10.

France_Bester
Not applicable
I had the same slow performance backup after I have upgraded from 10 to 10D. I have downloaded all patched from veritas, but nothing worked.

I have a DTL 40/80 and LTO 3 in my windows 2003 sp1 server. The DLT works 100% but not the LTO 3 when I use LTO2 media. I have un-installed Veritas 10d, and reinstalled the software using the Microsoft driver not the veritas drive as recommended by the install process.

The performance on the HP, LTO 3 is now 100% when I use LTO2 backup media

I suspect it�s the veritas driver that is not working 100% with any LTO 3

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

As per your post, it seems that the issue occurs only with the LTO device and Symantec driver. Is it the same case with other users too?

Does the job on a backup to disk folder give good throughput?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.