cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 to Backup Exec 12

basilis_basilis
Level 3

Dear all,

I want to know if Symantec Backup Exec 12 supports both Intel Xeon CPU Itanium and Intel Xeon CPU E5345 64 and 32 bit.

Also,  if I can upgrade from Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 to Backup Exec 12 without uninstalling the previous versions?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Someone else had a question about IA64 processors, and wound up calling Symantec.  He was told that v12 does not now support IA64, adn that there are no future plans to support it, for either media servers or remote agents. 

x86-64 is supported for both media server and remote agent

as for the upgrade -  you cannot upgrade directly from v9.1 to v12.  You could upgrade to v10d, and then to v12 though

basilis_basilis
Level 3

To be more specific,

I have a backup server  (windows 2003 server 32bit) with veritas 9.1 installed with cpu Intel Xeon 3,2 Ghz x86.

I try to install the Backup Exec remote agent to a new server  ( windows 2003 storage server 64bit ) with Intel Xeon CPU E5345 2,33 Ghz EM64T, and the installation failed with the following error: the installation package is not supported by this processor type.

If I upgrade to Backup Exec 12 both servers will work correctly?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The media server should be OK n v12, but you will not be able to get the v12 RAWS installed on the IA64 computer

You can, however leave a v11d RAWS on the remote server, and it should talk to the media server fine