System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 65 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2600 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 65 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2600 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 2,045.81 MB

New server Win2K8R2

System Manufacturer HP
System Model ProLiant DL380 G5
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5440 @ 2.83GHz, 2833 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5440 @ 2.83GHz, 2833 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Total Physical Memory 20.0 GB

BE 2010R2 to BE 2012

Should I upgrade the old server to the new BE and then migrate to new server?

Should I migrade old BE to new server then upgrade BE to v2012?

Any insight or shared experience really appreciated.  You can post to this forum or contact me personally, dtimmons@kvch.com

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

I would install BackupExec 2010 R3 on the new system, and migrate everything over.

I would ensure that all jobs/policies, etc are configured and working.  Ensure that a good amount of time is used to ensure stability of the production system.  This may be a week or two of getting the kinks out and ensuring backups are running properly.  And that you test restores!

Then I would use the old system, to install BE2012.  I would use this as a test bed to verify that 2012 is what you need for your environment.  Currently as it stands, there is a thread here with 140+ negative comments and <5 people that like BE2012.  It really is a large departure from the previous features.  Completely different way to do things.

IMO, BE2012 is not stable and you should wait till at least the first major service pack.  Perhaps Symantec may address the dramatic GUI changes with that too...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you upgrade, you might want to take a look at my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/preparing-install-or-upgrade-be-2012