cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 11D problems

Darren_Taylor
Level 3
Hi I know I am a bit behine the times only just upgrading to 11D, but 10D was working fine with no problems but i have been made to bring my version inline with others ahhhhh

The two problems are no doubt known ones, but i was hoping for a definate answer for here.

1, Exchange Backup

I am now backing up the datastore and set option to restore individualy messages. This backups up fine and at great speeds now (79Gb) but my problem is restoring a single message. I dont have enough free space on the server to stage the file. I have mapped a volume from another server but i get (Final error: 0xe0001203 - An error occured while creating or accessing the directory specified for this operation. Check the job log for details).

I have checked permissions and the backup account has full write.

I am wondering is it possible to stage to a network volume or does it HAVE to be a local drive. If so does anyone have a solution.

2, DFS folders backup

These where backed up in 10D fine with no problems. I now get a successful message for the backup, however when i check the size and DFS folders the only folder that has been backed up is the DfsrPrivate folder.

What a great upgrade and they wonder why i stick to things i know work.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Darren
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If you have a tape backup from a month ago, you can restore it that way too.
Duplicating to disk basically just takes problems that will/can arise when doing restores from tape. I had it many times where the restores kept on failing when restoring from tape. Using this method, I never had a problem again using BEWS 11D.
if you go to Tools --> Options --> Exchange, you can change the temporary staging area for the Exchange restore to a drive with the equivalent, or more disk space of your Information Store.
However, there is no getting around it. The IS will ALWAYS be staged to disk when restoring via GRT or normal backups.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Hi Darren,

1. The problem is that the default location for temporarily staging the Information Store is set to C:\Temp. YOu would need to manually set this. However, I wrote an article on this last year. I stage all my restores to disk first, to eliminate any problems restoring from tape. Read up on it here...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

2. As for backing up the DFS, read up on it here and check if it helps...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296168.htm

Laters!

Darren_Taylor
Level 3
HI Craig

Thanks for the information.

I understand your method, but this would only duplicate the current mailstore so you if an email had been deleted it would still be deleted in the copy.

What happens when i need to restore an email from a month ago?

Darren

CraigV
If you have a tape backup from a month ago, you can restore it that way too.
Duplicating to disk basically just takes problems that will/can arise when doing restores from tape. I had it many times where the restores kept on failing when restoring from tape. Using this method, I never had a problem again using BEWS 11D.
if you go to Tools --> Options --> Exchange, you can change the temporary staging area for the Exchange restore to a drive with the equivalent, or more disk space of your Information Store.
However, there is no getting around it. The IS will ALWAYS be staged to disk when restoring via GRT or normal backups.

Darren_Taylor
Level 3
Thanks again, is it possible to stage to a network drive or does it need to be a local drive?

CraigV
Unfortunately local. You can try \\servername, but I tried this when we lost our MSA2000 with all our VMs last week on 1 of our sites, and it didn't work.

Darren_Taylor
Level 3
Ok thank i guessed as much. Just tried it, it starts to copy some data to the mapped folder but then fails with

e0001200 - This operation requires a backup-to-disk folder on a local NTFS colume on the media server.

Next try is an external storage drive.

Regards
Darren

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Later versions of Backup Exec do allow GRT locations on remote disks (give or take the odd issue specific to certain NAS devices) but 11D needed it to be local.

1) Your option are therefore do some testing with a new version of BE with a view to upgrading if it meets your requirments (check the SCL first though if you are using an old version of Exchange)
2) Install some bigger disks in your server
3) Plan to use a Recovery Storage Group for restoration of individual e-mails (this needs more space on your Exchange Server)
4) Turn back on Brick Level (Legacy) Backusp of mailboxes and run 2 jobs once for the Information Store for DR and one for the mailboxes

Note I am not really recommendeing 3 and 4, 1 and 2 are the recommended options.

Darren_Taylor
Level 3
Thanks Colin

is the infomation i have recieved regarding dfs backup, i need to select the data in shadow copy componets or shutdown dfs prior to backup then restart after.

With regards to the mailbox, would an external usb drive work as a temp solution until i can get the harddrives upgraded

Regards

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
With regards to the mailbox, would an external usb drive work as a temp solution until i can get the harddrives upgraded

Any locally attached NTFS volume can be used to stage the GRT backup.  SCSI, SATA, USB,  what-ever

CraigV
Hi there,

Any news here?