cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Symantec Backup Exec 2010

systems3
Level 3

Hi,

I will need your help urgently. I am new to Symantec Backup Exec product, actually I already have Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 on my SuSE linux 10 SP2 and windows server as well, now I would like to upgrade my Backup Agent Remote to Backup Exec 2010.

What are the steps to follow with the upgrade. How should I upgrade the version to 2010. Should I create a new account for backup exec 2010.

Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

It is a simple task...you can do a direct upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 R2, no hassles.

What I suggest you do is the following:

1. On your media server, stop your services, and go to the installation directory for BE. Copy your Data and Catalogs folders to another location. You're going to be doing this in case you have issues upgrading.

2. Stop your antivirus during the upgrade...I have had McAfee cause all sorts of chaos during the upgrade! You can restart it afterwards.

3. Run through the upgrade...

Read the article I wrote below for some additional information:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-look-out-when-upgrading-bews-2010my-experience...

It reall is a straight-forward upgrade. Once done, you can then do push installations to your Windows servers, and follow

the tech note above to upgrade your Linux box/es.

Post the results here...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

You want to upgrade remote agent on Linux or Windows ?

AmolB

For linux refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46461

For Windows refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30491

systems3
Level 3

In fact I will have to upgrade my symantec backup exec 12.5 to 2010 on both linux and windows server. I would like to know how to proceed, should I have to upgrade the remote agent and create a new accounts. Thanks

systems3
Level 3

Even if I already have the backup exec 12.5 on my linux server, should I still install a fresh copy of backup exec 2010 as mentioned on your link above?

CraigV

Hi there,

It is a simple task...you can do a direct upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 R2, no hassles.

What I suggest you do is the following:

1. On your media server, stop your services, and go to the installation directory for BE. Copy your Data and Catalogs folders to another location. You're going to be doing this in case you have issues upgrading.

2. Stop your antivirus during the upgrade...I have had McAfee cause all sorts of chaos during the upgrade! You can restart it afterwards.

3. Run through the upgrade...

Read the article I wrote below for some additional information:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-look-out-when-upgrading-bews-2010my-experience...

It reall is a straight-forward upgrade. Once done, you can then do push installations to your Windows servers, and follow

the tech note above to upgrade your Linux box/es.

Post the results here...

systems3
Level 3

The same applies on my suse linux SP2? It is a virtual machine.

AmolB

Follow the same procedure for VM too.

systems3
Level 3

Great it works. Here are the output:

Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers 13.0.2896

Installing Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers on BackupExecTest:
    Installing VRTSralus 13.0.2896 on BackupExecTest ......................................... done 1 of 1 steps
Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers installation completed successfully.
Press [Return] to continue:
    Remove previous version of RALUS init scripts ......................................................... Done
    Copying new initialization scripts .................................................................... Done
    Updating RALUS files for beoper ....................................................................... Done
                         Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers 13.0.2896
Configuring Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers:
    Creating configuration files on BackupExecTest ........................................................ Done
Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers configured successfully.
Press [Return] to continue:
The response file is saved at:
    /var/tmp/vxif/installralus1001154121/installralus1001154121.response
The installralus log is saved at:
    /var/tmp/vxif/installralus1001154121/installralus.log

Now how to check my VRTSralus version on my suse linux server?

Thanks

CraigV

...should be the same as with Windows servers...go to your selection list, right-click the server, and choose Properties.

CraigV

Hi systems3,

Have you come right here?

Thanks!