cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade versions (2010 to 2010 R2)

BRH15
Level 4

I just am looking for how to upgrade from our Backup Exec 2010 to the most recent version and have been unable to find the best way and what i should look out for when doing so. (best practices)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Upgrade is very straight-forward. What you should look at doing from your side:

1. Getting a copy of the Data and Catalogs folders to a separate location.

2. Just before you start the upgrade, stop and disable any antivirus you're running. THis caused me massive hassles when McAfee would randomly decide to block the SQL Express upgrade and break the BEDB.

3. If you feel the need to go to BE 2010 R2, load up SP1 and any other available patches, and then push-install these to any remote servers you may have.

4. If you are waiting for, and end up upgrading to, BE 2010 R3, then run a LiveUpdate after upgrading the media server, and then do a push-install to any remote servers.

If you run a CASO environment, the CASO server gets upgraded first, followed by any MMS servers.

THanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Gregmfg
Level 4

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/job-status-stays-queued-0

That topic goes through how to update and the number ways you can do it.  You can update through live update or download from backup exec website.

Goodluck!

BRH15
Level 4

yeah i saw that one. i started downloading, just didn't know if there was anything i should keep in mind. while upgrading.

Do you know how i would go about using LiveUpdate? do i have to have the .iso file on the server in a certain spot and then run it.

Thanks

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to extract the ISO and then run the browser.exe file.

Do follow the steps mentioned in the above link.

Once the upgrade is successfull run live update multiple time to install all the Hotfixes

also update all the remote agents.

NOte: BE2010 R3 is due to release in next few days

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest to put the upgrade on Hold at this moment as BE 2010 R3 is just few days away from General Availability (GA). So ones BE 2010 R3 is available you can directly upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which will be the latest version in just few days.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Upgrade is very straight-forward. What you should look at doing from your side:

1. Getting a copy of the Data and Catalogs folders to a separate location.

2. Just before you start the upgrade, stop and disable any antivirus you're running. THis caused me massive hassles when McAfee would randomly decide to block the SQL Express upgrade and break the BEDB.

3. If you feel the need to go to BE 2010 R2, load up SP1 and any other available patches, and then push-install these to any remote servers you may have.

4. If you are waiting for, and end up upgrading to, BE 2010 R3, then run a LiveUpdate after upgrading the media server, and then do a push-install to any remote servers.

If you run a CASO environment, the CASO server gets upgraded first, followed by any MMS servers.

THanks!