cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from BE10.0 to BE12.5 License issue

spjallman
Level 2

Hi !

I'm trying to upgrade our Backup Exec 10.0 build 5520 to BE12.5 as 10.0 is no longer supported by Symantec.

We have license for BE2010, but as we still have Netware 6.0 servers (as well as Windows 2003 and Linux servers) in our network, we can't, for the time beeing, upgrade further than to 12.5 for compability reasons.

I read somewhere on this community that you can't upgrade directly from 10.0 to 12.5 but have to make an intermediate upgrade to 11d.

I got hold of 11d software, but for some reason I can't find a license key for 11d in my account at Symantec Licensing Portal.

Our 12.5 server license is there as well as 10d, but no 11d server license. (There are 11d agent licenses though, so there should be an 11d server license as well!)

Our present BE10.0 is running on a Windows 2003 R2 SP2 server and I want to keep the database content, jobs, media, etc.

So my first choice is to try to upgrade, not to make a 12.5 install from scratch.

Questions:

- Will it work to use an 11d evaluation version for the first step and then upgrade to 12.5 using our upgraded license?

- Or would 10d as intermediate step work as well?

- Apart from basic upgrade, do I have updgrade/change anything else in the first step, for instance with the database, agents, job setups, etc.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You can upgrade to 11d and use trial licenses, no hassles. When you upgrade to 12.5 you'd license the necessary agents anyway.

The upgrade itself will take care of changing the database schema (if necessary) and migrate catalog/data/device information to the newer version. Nothing for you to do during this.

HOWEVER...before you upgrade, grab a copy of your Catalogs and Data folders in case something goes wrong during the upgrade, and stop your AV if you are able too...I've had our AV mess up the SQL installation and cause total BEDB corruption.

The upgrade process is very straight-forward...just follow the prompts. The intermediate upgrade to 11d will probably alert you to the fact that there are no licenses installed.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You can upgrade to 11d and use trial licenses, no hassles. When you upgrade to 12.5 you'd license the necessary agents anyway.

The upgrade itself will take care of changing the database schema (if necessary) and migrate catalog/data/device information to the newer version. Nothing for you to do during this.

HOWEVER...before you upgrade, grab a copy of your Catalogs and Data folders in case something goes wrong during the upgrade, and stop your AV if you are able too...I've had our AV mess up the SQL installation and cause total BEDB corruption.

The upgrade process is very straight-forward...just follow the prompts. The intermediate upgrade to 11d will probably alert you to the fact that there are no licenses installed.

Thanks!