cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading tape drive on MSL2024

james2k6
Level 4
Hi,

We currently have HP MSL2024/4048/8096 ultr 960 4gb drive with LTO 3.  I was wondering if the tape drive can be upgraded to LTO 4.  If so which model should I be purchasing. 

Many thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I think it would be more fruitful to talk about this with your HP reseller.  After all, they are the experts on HP products.  After they have given their recommendations, you can then check the HCL for your version of BE to see whether that particular piece of hardware is supported.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should be able to upgrade the tape drive to LTO4.  I am using a MSL2024 with a LTO4 tape drive.  However, you should check the HCL for the version of BE that you are using to make sure that the proposed LTO4 tape drive is supported.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Here are the links for the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for different version of Backup Exec:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282249
 .......... Backup Exec 11d

http://support.veritas.com/docs/294294
 .......... Backup Exec 12

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306831
.......... Backup Exec 12.5

http://support.veritas.com/docs/329256
.......... Backup Exec 2010 and Backup Exec 2010 R2

Ones confirmed that the Drive is supported you can safely upgrade to it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
BE 2010 will be compatible with the LTO4 drive.
You are looking for 1 of the following:

HP StorageWorks MSL LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 4Gb FC Drive Upgrade Kit - AJ042A

That would be the fibre channel upgrade kit for the LTO4 drive you are looking at. You can confirm this with your reseller.
Simply swop the drives out, and for good measure run the Device Configuration Wizard again in BE 2010.

Laters!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You can also get a new LTO-5 drive if you want.

HP StorageWorks MSL LTO-5 Ultrium 3280 FC Drive Upgrade Kit:          BL535A

james2k6
Level 4
Awesome.  LTO-5 is availablel for this. 

I've also asked a similar question a few while back.  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/upgrading-tape-drives-msl-6000

Can this library be upgraded with LTO-5 drives as well?  Would the 8gig fibre channel be backwards compatible with 4gig fc?  Our san is running on 4gig fc atm.

CraigV
Hi James,

It can yes...couple of things you need to consider though:

1. Does your environment warrant an LTO5 drive? Space-wise, are you maxing out your LTO3 drive, and would you go beyond the 1.6TB (2:1 compression on an LTO4 drive)?
2. Are you able to send data fast enough to an LTO5 drive? They're currently incredibly quick, and I doubt that anything currently will stream data to it at its maximum speed.

If your answers to any of those are no, I would hold off on buying an LTO5 drive, and maybe look into cheaper disk with which to look into disk-based backups, or data deduplication.

8GB FC switches are backwards compatible with 4GB...not a problem there, and they would also be backwards compatible with 2GB HBAs. This is where your bottleneck would end up being...the 4GB interface between your library and the switch. An LTO5 drive wouldn't overcome this.

Laters!

CraigV
Sorry...the 8GB...is that you wanting to replace your current switches with an 8GB fabric? It will work either way...the 8GB switches will take 4GB connections...and an 8GB connection would "underclock" itself to 4GB...same as if it were a LAN.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
James,

Yes, the partnumber of this drive is BL535A.
The drive will run on 4Gb without problem, off course you need to be sure your server can provide the data to the streamer fast enough to prevent start-stopping of the tapeunit.

CraigV
...just read up now, but if you use your current orange cabling (OM2) with an 8GB FC switch, your maximum distance drops to 50m at 8GB vs. aqua cabling (OM3) which is 150m...something else to consider if you have distances between your FC switches and devices.
It appears as if that cabling is also backwards compatible though.

james2k6
Level 4

Sorry for the confusion here.  I don't think LTO 5 is supported for http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/12169-304612-304622-304622-304622-316040.html

I know this is a seperate question but does MSL 6000 library support LTO 5 drives?

CraigV
The MSL6000-series is an old system that looks like it is slowly being replaced by the MSL2024/4048/8096 systems.
The biggest tape drive it can take is LTO4...

james2k6
Level 4
Okay before I go ahead and close this questoin I have one more question I need to confirm.

Is MSL2040 with LTO3 drive 4 gig FC upgradable to LTO5 drive?  The interface will still be 4 gig FC right?  I'm not able to access the physical library/drive myself.  Since the library only has 1 drive so it'll be on 4 gig FC unless I upgrade the library as well as the drive?

Thanks.

CraigV
Hi James,

Yes it is...you're looking at BL535A which is the HP StorageWorks MSL LTO-5 Ultrium FC Drive Upgrade Kit.
I would confirm with your vendor though that what you're looking at will work with your current FC switches.\

Laters!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
No the interface is on the drive itself, if you replace the current drive, you will also replace the interface.
But it will be no problem as it will also run on 4Gb.

See the attached quickspecs for more info.

james2k6
Level 4

Sorry one more question.  Just found another drive that we want to upgrade.  It is 1/8 G2 autoloader that came with LTO 4 - scsi.  It is connected to Proliant DL 320s that's about 2 years old.  I know that LTO 5 is available for the autoloader but it's SAS interface.  I'm not too sure what the SAS interface looks like but would the drive be compatible with the proliant?  It really comes down to the connector I guess?

Thanks

CraigV
It depends on the generation of the DL320. Let me know, and I will check.
But best-guess would be to buy a SAS card for your server, and swop out the tape drive.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The DL320 will probably has no SAS connection available.
If this server has PCI-Express slots in it, you can purchage a SAS Adapter, like 416096-B21 - HP StorageWorks SC44Ge SAS Host Bus Adapter.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I have attached the quickspecs of the StorageWorks 1-8 G2 Tape Autoloader.
As far as I can see you cannot upgrade the drive in it. They are not sold separately.

CraigV
...repeat?