cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using CPS and BE 2010 (SBS) Together

lhawthorne
Level 3
I'm an old school GFS tape kind of guy. I'm not entirely sure what the best way is to use CPS and BE 2010 together. The only "best practices" I've seen has to do with tuning for memory and that kind of stuff. I want to know how to "really" use them. Right now I do Monthly and Weekly full backups to tape, and incrementals on a daily basis (4 days a week) to tape. It seems to me that to use CPS and BE 2010 together effectively, I need a backup target (planning on using a 2 TB NAS or something like that), then I would backup to CPS often throughout the day (depending on source) and then backup to tape the CPS data?

How do you guys use them together? I want protect my data just as good as I do now, but include the ability to restore files that have been backed up to CPS during the day.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
CPS is not Disaster Recovery Solution. So using only CPS will not restore your whole server from disaster.

Using Backup Exec you will be able to create the IDR disk. So in case of disaster you can recover the server using the IDR which will also restore the CPS protected Resources which is the data that is backed by CPS.
So ones the server is up and running you can restore the latest data from CPS restore.

Hope this piece of Information is helpful...!!
If this answers your query then you can mark is as Solution

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
You can install Backup Exec and CPS on the same server and take CPS backups often throughout the day (depending on source) to the 2 TB NAS device. Then you can configure a backup job in Backup Exec which will backup the data backed by CPS. To backup the CPS protected resources you need to select the Protected Resources from the node as shown in the attached file.

This way you can continue to take the Tape backups using the GFS policy and backing the CPS resources too.

For more information you can refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/283543

lhawthorne
Level 3

Thank you for the great info, Sush!

How will this affect IDR? CPS says that it can bare metal restore machines in minutes, but I'm assuming that is not accurate in a disaster recovery scenario in which the CPS backup volume (target, the NAS in this case) was destroyed by water or fire.

In a standard IDR scenario, you boot a machine using the IDR CD and can restore directly from tape.

lhawthorne
Level 3
OK, so I did some more digging and CPS and BackupExec does allow you to restore CPS backups directly to Business Servers. So will BackupExec allow me to create IDR Media and .dr files for servers that are backedup via CPS?

Sush---
Level 6
CPS is not Disaster Recovery Solution. So using only CPS will not restore your whole server from disaster.

Using Backup Exec you will be able to create the IDR disk. So in case of disaster you can recover the server using the IDR which will also restore the CPS protected Resources which is the data that is backed by CPS.
So ones the server is up and running you can restore the latest data from CPS restore.

Hope this piece of Information is helpful...!!
If this answers your query then you can mark is as Solution

lhawthorne
Level 3
Sounds good. Just so I'm clear, normally with BE you have to select an entire computer to generate the .DR information. With CPS and BE together, can I just backup the CPS protected data, or do I need to backup the actual "business servers". If I have to do both, that seems redundant.

Are there any good examples out there of how people are using CPS and BE together in a real environment?

Sush---
Level 6
In order to generate the .DR information you will have to select an Entire Computer.