cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

avoid eject media when error occurs (10d and 12.5)

gregor2005
Level 3

hi,

during the last backups i had problems with overlapping overwriting time settings on some tapes. so when i start a backup i get an error that it can't be overwritten and the tape are automatically ejected. the problem is that i manage the most server remotely and so i can't but the tape back in the device and i have to call an employee that is beside (the most errors i get on saturday and/or sunday).
how can i avoid that backup exec ejects the media so that i can manually move it to the temporary medias and start the job?

i use the following version: 10d and 12.5
and this devices: hp lto1 and lto3

greetings from austria
gregor
8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Gregor

If you open the scheduled job, under device & media there is an option "Eject Media after completion of job" uncheck that box.

gregor2005
Level 3

this option was on all my backup-jobs unchecked, any worked for the full and diff backups.
maybe there must be another option anywhere

gregor

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You cannot prevent the tape from being ejected when it is found to be write protected.  The tape is automatically ejected so that an overwriteable tape can be inserted immediately.

To prevent your problem, re-examine the overwrite protection period of your media sets and reset then appropriately.  Remember that OPP is calculated from the end of the job.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are sure that you want to overwrite the tape then you can manually move the tape to Scratch Media.
 To move the tape to Scratch Media go to MEDIA and select the Media set under which the tape is present. Then right click on the Media and select the option to Associate with Media set-->> Scratch Media

But again before moving the tape to scratch media make sure that you have to Overwrite it.

gregor2005
Level 3
but these steps didn't help when i have a tape with overwriting protection and i get the error when the backupjob is running.
how can i disable the tape ejection when some error occurs?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If  this is a stand-alone drive, and if the job is overwrite, and it the mounted volume is write protected (still within the OPP). then you cannot prevent BackupExec from ejecting the tape

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

I am not aware of any way to prevent BE from ejecting the media when it decides that it cannot use it.

gregor2005
Level 3
ok then i must live with this behavior.
thanks for the tips

greetings
gregor