cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using more than one BE Servers on one SQL Server Instance

janitehk
Level 1
When installing BE 2010 we noticed that there is a note that says do not select a SQL Server instance that is already being used by another Backup Exec Server.  We currently run an earlier version of SQL and need to know if it is yet possible to share the SQL Server among two instances of Backup Exec Servers?
3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

BE2010 requires SQL 2005 SP3 and above for the BE database.

You cannot host the BE database of 2 media servers on 1 SQL instance.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Well now, there is a difference between a SQL server(Engine), and a SQL Instance (name)...

On a SQL server, you can have multiple SQL instances.  MSDE/SQL Express only allows for one instance..  Think of an instance, as a database name running within the SQL engine.

However, I do not recall if you can change the name of the instance during the installation of BE.

In many cases, SQL Express is all you need.  It's rare to need in BE a full SQL install.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Correction and added information to the  above answers:

You can install multiple instances of both SQL Express and MSDE onto a single server - I have done thsi more than once.

As advised you can't run multiple BE databases in one instance (because although the instance name is NOT fixed, the database name inside the instance is fixed.

You can specify instance names during the Backup Exec installation and this can be to an existing instance as long as that instance does not already contain a BE database)

Symantec stongly recommends that you do not install Backup Exec into the same instance as the production database for a critical application. There are multiple reasons for this but the 2 biggest reasons are your restore method from any form of DR is much more complicated and at times hotfix installs or maintenance might require the instance to be restarted which would then affect your production systems. (i,.e don't mix BE with say your customer orders database however if you have something like an Insight Manager database then this would probably be OK as not quite as critical to DR restore or keep operating 24x7)