cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory Mailbox Store and its subdirectories.

Paulo
Level 4
Can anyone help me with this issue? Our Exchange Backup To Disk fails everynight with the above error. When I look at the job log it is saying that it backed up 40GB (which is correct), but the job status is 'Failed', and the backup set is unuseable for restore purposes.

The strange thing here is that the B2D job was working fine, until last week. The account that is running the job is both a Domain Admin and a local admin on the Exchange Server. We are runnning Exchange 2003 Standard, and BE 11d on Win 2003 x64 Storage Server R2.

Regards
Paul.
86 REPLIES 86

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
i ran a test backup during the day yesterday and it worked as shown in the screenshots above. i still have the patches instaleld so it worked with the patches installed. but alst nights automated backup failed with the access denied.so i dont know what it could possibly be.

and how do i restore individual mailboxes from the grt backup?

this is how i have the jobs setup

this is the actual job properties.:

and this is the EXCHANGE options in the TOOLS > OPTIONS menu

is this ok?

Message Edited by roy duque de estrada on 05-31-200707:43 AM

The_Dude
Level 4
That is fine. Simply, when you restore you can expand the information store further to view all mailboxes and folders/email within them.

I am very puzzled by this problem though. :(

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
i just tried to run the backup now and it did not work. i am going to try and remove the patches and see if that helps. 
Dude, is yours working?

Dewser
Level 3
Gentlemen, Symantec hates us :D

Anyway still waiting to hear back from my client who is having this problem to find out if changing our maintenance time made a difference, I am guessing it didn't.  And since we are using build 7170 there are no options in add/remove (even when showing updates) to uninstall those hotfixes.    But hey keep this thread going and maybe we will get some response from Symantec.  You know ever since their name went in place of Veritas that seems to be when more issues started occuring.  hmmmmm

Keep us posted I guess.

The_Dude
Level 4
I've had a 50% success rate recently, so I'm not entirely sure what is going on. :(

The fact that so many people are having this problem means something outside is causing this. Could be Symantec, could be May's Exchange patch that Microsoft released.

I'm going to keep posting here until it is resolved anyway. :p

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
i have had 0% success. im not sure if it has to do with the granular restore. i am testing as we speak, different backups.
son of a b#$%^, actually i just tested running an information store backup only, after removing the patches and rebooting the server and it worked. I am now going to try to do a full backup of teh exchange server.
The dude you said it worked for you the first time after you removed all the patches also correct?

The_Dude
Level 4
Yes, it worked the first time after removing the patches. However, I also did a full backup of the IS without the ability to restore individual items just before I removed the patches also. I'm not convinced in the slightest that my backups are going to run ok.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
well this backup job that completedly succesfully of just the IS's , looks like i can restore succesfully from it.
also in this backup that was succesful i did not have it verifying.

i am trying a new backup now, backing up our entire exchange server with verification.
i will post when its done.

Paulo
Level 4
I am glad you are getting  somewhere with this now. I think there may be more to this, but after uninstalling the hotfixes and rebooting my exchange backup with GRT enabled worked ok. I can also restore from this backup.

Either way Symantec have a case to answer here. It is simply not good enough.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
paulo,

i have it backing up to disk, i am running the same job over and over and i have the overwrite option checked..but when i look at the directory for the backup to disk, it is creating a new IMG00000XX folder, where XX starts at 00-01  and so on.
shoudlnt it overwrite the old IMG folder?

frnkblk
Level 3
I'm having a simliar problem here, but this time with Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2003 x64 box.

Also running Rev 7170.  This is what I get:

It's all very odd, please, if anyone finds a solution, please post it here!

Frank

Paulo
Level 4
Roy,

I worked through this, but I am still having to manually delete IMG folders every few days to free up disk space! Not good at all.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
wow, you think you pay money for a product and it would work correctly and not have you manually delete folders.
it said in that article that you can have it automatically delete expired img folders, how do i know when they are expired, and when do i set that up?

and FYI
my backup ran last night on its own, removing patches 4 5 and 6 worked for me, i hope it works tonight too. **knock on wood**

The_Dude
Level 4
My backups are still working currently.

Has anyone else tried purgeing all "tomestoned" mailboxes? e.g. accounts where the AD account has been deleted. Since doing this, I've not had any problems. Not that this should cause this to happen of course.

Paulo
Level 4
No I have not had to tombstone any mailboxes, my backups are still working after removing the Hotfixes.

I too am having to manually delete IMG folders every few days. What am I doing wrong?

Paul.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
Paulo,

im not sure, but it has something to do with setting limits on file sizes i believe. I am not going to sit there an delete img folders, this is ridiculous.  I am calling symantec and will post once i know.

Dewser
Level 3
Hey Frank,

Those are the exact same errors I have been receiving.  Most of the other posters here are having similar issues with Exchange 2003.  We've been able to narrow down the problem to be with Exchange 2003/2007 Backup Exec 11d both the old build with updates and the 7170 build.  I think we are all using Windows 2003 x64 Servers.

Unfortunately in my case I cannot remove any hotfixes from Backup Exec since none seem to be listed.  The others have had some success with that and we are waiting for confirmations for a few more that have tried this.

Hopefully we will get some resolution on this matter.  I have 2 clients that have these issues.  Both use Exchange 2007 on x64 with BE 11d 7170.

The_Dude
Level 4
In the thread I created about this, a Symantec tech just told me to mail enable my backup account. I've done so, but difficult to tell it that will help as it currently working for me.

But to be honest, give the number of people posting here it must be something external to all of our organisations as it was working a short time ago.

frnkblk
Level 3
I believe my backup account is 'Administrator' and it is email enabled, but still no go.

Just to be clear, when people say "backup account", do they mean the account used to start the services?

Frank

Dewser
Level 3
Yes Frank its typically the account used for starting the services.  In a proper configuration you should be using a separate account i.e. BackupExec or something.  But sometimes its just easier to use the domain admin account.  Only problem with that is that you have to remember to change the service account info if you change the admin password.  Best practice is to create a separate account.