cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V2V SRV2003 restore hangs on ACPITABL.DAT

sammyc53
Level 5

Doing a Bare Metal restore the same way I’ve been doing it for years…
However, having troubles with one server:

Upon restart after Files/State restore, it hangs on SafeBoot on this line:
……\Windows\system32\acpitabl.dat

Source and Target guest VM: Server 2003 SP2 VL 32-bit
Both ESX Boxes are 4.1 are Intel using Version 7 guests (Source ESX is a Dell PE 2950, Target ESX is a HP Desktop)

Using BackupExec 2010 R3.latest
Following recommended guidelines on their KBs for Disaster Recovery http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11944
That KB doesn’t mention this, but I’m using the “Merge the existing hardware configuration and registry services with the data to be restored” option as well.
In a nutshell, I’ve created the SRV03 SP2 target, installed the Agent, installed updates, set the PC Name, Changed IP, etc… everything that is needed to create a target. Restoring C, D, System State, and Shadow Copy Components.  The restore itself finishes successfully.

In the past, for dissimilar hardware, I have always excluded these files: Hall.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, ntdetect.com, ntldr, and boot.ini
That has always worked great for me. Doing the same this time. (I’m restoring to ESX, so the hardware is the same anyway – so technically, this should go even easier, right?)

The restore completes great, but won’t return on reboot.

I’ve Google the heck out of this.  TONS of ACPITABL.DAT problems.  Most are related to a SP installation which obviously doesn’t apply.  I’ve still tried all suggestions I’ve found.

Baffled.  In the past I’ve had no issues doing a P2P or P2V Bare Metal restores using this same process.  On ESX, the hardware differences are next to nothing, so why am I struggling so much with this?

The only good lead I have is a Symantec KB about the same thing happening on HyperV. It’s an unsolved case :( Their recommendation was to uninstall the guest additions.  So I even tried doing that to no avail.

Taking a break for now, and looking for any insight.

TIA.

Sam

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are using 2010 R3 and backing up VMware Virtual Machines (VMs) from ESX 4.1 and thinkling about DR of the VMs then why not look at Agent for VMware backups instead of traditional agent/RAWS backups? A hell of a lot simpler (and usually faster) for DR purposes and still provides individual file restore capability if needed.