Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWARE Agent - Can I...

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I have one query regarding the VMWARE agent of BackupExec as mentioned below

are vmware VBC backups application aware ??

I mean can we granually restore exchange, SQL, sharepoint etc which is there inside the VM image ??
2 REPLIES 2

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
No you can not use exchange and sharepoint Grt  restore .... eg ..You can restore the complete store using the AVVI Grt backup but no the individual email or mailbox .. In that case you need to back it up by installign the remtoe agent on the virtual server

Not applicable
it is extremely important that Backup Exec Database or Application Agents continue to be installed inside of Guest virtual machines and separate regular database or application level backups be performed of virtualized applications such as Microsoft SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, Active Directory, Lotus Domino, etc. These applications and databases require regular log truncation, database maintenance, consistency checks, etc that are performed only as part of a regular Backup Exec database or application Agent-level backup. If these separate Database Agent-level backups are not performed regularly, application log files could continue to accumulate, eventually fill the entire disk, and cause application or database failure. Additionally, Backup Exec 12.5 database and application Agent backups allow granular recovery and point-in-time recovery of the application itself. For example, to recover anindividual Microsoft Exchange mailbox, message, contact, calendar item, or database, the backup must have been performed separately with the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange i hope this answeres your question, if it does please mark it as solution