cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Errors backing up MSDE database

Deborah_Lane-Ol
Level 3
Partner
Every night during backup on our SQL/MSDE server, I am seeing a series of errors relating to VSS and the SQL backup. First, there is an Event 6013 from VSS with the description: "Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e09. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 229
Error state: 5, Severity: 14
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error message: SELECT permission denied on object 'sysaltfiles', database 'master', owner 'dbo'." Then there are two ESENT events (2001 and 2003), which essentially say "shadow copy 5 freeze started" and "shadow copy 5 freeze stopped." Then there are four more of the VSS errors, all exactly the same. The wierdest part of it is that the master database is not even selected for backup, since we are not using it. This has only happened since I upgraded from BE 9.1 to 10.0. At one point it was causing the server to freeze or reboot, so I deselected the "Services" portion of the shadow copy backup. Now, the server isn't freezing or rebooting, but the errors are still occurring. Any idea what's going on here?
1 REPLY 1

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

For the event id 6013 please contact Micorosoft.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.