cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Snapshot Warning is not present on the snapshot

EVJ
Level 2

Hi,

Alot of posts abou this error but no real answer...

Wehave Backup Exec 2010 R3 (latest patches) installed on a Windows 2003 x64 bit Server.

The backup is always incomplete skipping 200 files which are all similar to the on below but with a different file name.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3\en-us\hpzlawn7.dll.mui is not pre...

I have tried creating the file, however its still coming up with the same messages every morning.

Has anyone got an actual fix for this?

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you tried to deselect the C:\Windows folder in the selection list and then reselect it?

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This is is usually seen with a System State Backup and is not caused by Backup Exec it is caused by individual software vendors not correctly registering critical components that are then linked to the System State. (because it is System State backup CraigV's answer above will not help)

As such there is no single fix as it is unique to the individual files. We have seen his caused by both using unix style path statments in the Windows Registry or uninstall routines not removing their registry information correctly.

Typically the routine is

a) If file name is unqiue to a software vendor contact that softwre vendor to get assistance with cleaning up the registry - as a lsat resort try san find the registry entry yourself - would recommend starting in area of resgitry relating to services as a first place to look.)

b) If the file name is generic and does not exist in the specified path then either try to find the registry entry yourself OR create a dummy file in same path with same name

c) if the fiel name is generic and does exist then it is probably a unix style path statement somewhere (typically the / character may have been used instead of the \ character in a path)

EVJ
Level 2

Hi Colin,

I agree with what you say, it's when the system state is backed up. I suspect it was some HP printer drivers software which has been removed and causing the error..

The backup flags up 200 files with different names but in the same spook folders.

I have tried creating a dummy file with the same name but the error still flags, I have recreated the backup job from scratch and also searched through the registry for the file names, but they don't exist..

HP were no help at all..

Any ideas?