cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify takes 11 hours - BackupExec 2010 R3

DaranDazza
Level 4

Changed tape Device from an IBM Ultrium LTO5 to an IBM Ultrium LTO6

Deliberately backing up the previous exact same Data (as a test)

Backup takes 4 hours

Verify takes 11 hours

Driver provider - Symantec Corporation 12/02/2008  Version 5.1.37.0

Would this be a cause of an OLD driver -?

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I haven't seen a newer driver, but try running tapeinst.exe to install the SYmantec drivers again.

Are you using the LTO5 tapes on the LTO6 drive, or do they correspond? Also...you've tagged BE 10.x...are you sure this is your version (if not please update with the correct version) as I doubt that LTO6 is supported at all by BE 10.x.

Thanks!

EDIT: Have you tried to recreate the Verify job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Let u us know more d details about the job and the backup, like size, what resource, how long does it take previously, etc. Did you try to backup to disk and see how long it takes?

DaranDazza
Level 4

Hi,

This is one of the 2060 servers that we manage remotely. (These are school servers). At the moment the Organisation  (for which I work) is upgrading the (remote) onsite servers from Win2003 to Win 2008 and moved from NTBACKUP to Symantec BackupExec 2010 R3. (Just about completed).

That part is out of my hands as well as the local decision by the onsite technicians to upgrade from LTO5 to LTO6... due to Data increasing past the limit of the capacity of the LTO5. (1.5Tb)

The tapes are LTO6 tapes = 2.5Tb However I have restricted the backup to be only 1.5Tb (as a test).. The clients actually require approx 2Tb to be backed up.

The Verify part is triggered via the Template Properties (Standard template) Settings / General: within which basically is a box to tick (Verify after backup complete) and the next Menu Box titled "Compression Type" is set for : [hardware if available, otherwise none].

Query here - If I were to change this Compression Type:  to be "none"  - would this have any effect on the Verify time?

These templates were created by the Organisations Development team who then dumped this into our laps to support... As an aside, due to Government cutbacks, that team basically is fairly (now) non - existent.

Prior to LTO6 tape drive the entire process with an LTO5 was actual backup approx 2.5 hours and Verify 3.45 hours  (about the same size data)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that your new LTO6 devices are supported.  See the HCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050

I doubt changing the compression to No should not affect the verify time greatly, but it is worth a test.

Are you using LTO5 tapes in your LTO6 tape drives?  This will slow down everything.

Are you using encryption?  This will also slow things down.

You can try tuning your tape drive.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

DaranDazza
Level 4

Hi,

Just to answer about the tapes - They are using LTO6 tapes in the LTO6 Tape Device.

They are not using encryption.

I am now looking at the suggested URL's.. thanks for the help.

I'll update after I have assessed the URL info.

DaranDazza
Level 4

Hi,

I looks as if IBM may have a later driver - just trying to track it down - (IBM website is hopeless) - I have been told that the driver is version 6.2.3.8x64

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your tape drive should have a Symantec driver. It is not recommended to use the manufacturer's driver. Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to re-install the take drive with the Symantec driver

DaranDazza
Level 4

OK - I have run the Tapeinst.exe and it appears to have installed the same driver -

Driver date 12/02/2008 Driver version 5.1.37.0 - I will schedule a reboot of the server tonight.

DaranDazza
Level 4

After the reboot - nothing changed ....Still having the long verify time - its getting rather tiresome.

I am now contemplating eliminating Verify from the backup

We_shall
Level 2
Employee

Hi,

Steps you can perform to improve the verify operation.

==Clean the tape drive with the cleaning tape

==Do a quick erase on the tape so that the magnetic film on the tape is properly alligned.

==Check the event viewer in the system part - for any hardware errors.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you don't verify your backup, you run the risk that the backup is bad and not knowing it.

I would suggest that you tune your tape drive.  See my article which was referenced earlier.

DaranDazza
Level 4

Tape drive was cleaned with a new cleaning tape

Quick erase was done on the tape

No Hardware errors

Time taken to backup and verify 1.5Gb = 11 hours