cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Connecting to Internet

Edgardo_Diaz
Level 2
According to my firewall, my Backup Exec has been connecting to the internet (motcs.veritas.com) constantly (3,487 hits in one day). Is the connection secured of is there a way to prevent this connection?

Any help would be greatly apprecieated .
3 REPLIES 3

Mani_2
Level 6
Hello ccraneco,

This issue occurs if you have Direct Assist installed.

Direct Assist is a new software provided by VERITAS for troubleshooting purposes. We can assure you this application is not part of the VERITAS Backup Exec installation package, rather it needs to be installed separately and only for troubleshooting purposes.

On September 15th, VERITAS Technical Services introduced a new support technology that revolutionizes how support is offered to our customers. Because VERITAS DirectAssist provides a two-way communications process, customers can initialize system self-diagnostics that leverage our knowledge on how to solve certain known customer issues.

By deploying VERITAS DirectAssist, customers have the option to let us manage their issue but now with supercharged information. The customer won't have to gather logs, track down system information, or spend as much time doing the research that is so critical to the problem-solving process, as this will become more of an automated process.

In your case to resolve the issue all you need to do is uninstall the Direct Assist application.
In the event you have further queries about VERITAS Direct Assist please review the following hyperlink -
http://directassist.veritas.com/news/press/FeatureArticleDetail.jhtml?NewsId=60573

In the event you have any more queries please revert back to us.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas

Stephen_Kamione
Level 2
Our server is also going out and connecting to http://motcs.veritas.com/mots/motstats and motcs.veritas.com every minute and sometimes even more. How do I stop this.

Thanks
Steve