cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 12.5 resource view Cleanup

Tim_Keller
Level 3

We performed a migration from 8.6 to Version 10D years ago, and now have upgraded from 10D to 12 and finally plan to go to 12.5.  At some point, media from other media servers was cataloged into this configuration, and our media retention changed.  As such we have resouces listed in our restore selections that are no longer valid resources (don't need to restore them), and should no longer be on our tapes.  There is no details under properties, and the status is NORMAL.  Is there some sort of cleanup that can be done to compare these resources to the media and remove the ones that are obviously no longer valid?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tim_Keller
Level 3

I have done this in the past, and yes - it resolves the issue.  However, we have a significant # of tapes we retain; with our environment, the impracticality of recataloging hundreds of tapes speaks for itself.  I guess a future enhancement would be some enhanced (canned) catalog managment and reporting features.  Thanks for the input!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi Tim,

You can clean up/clear the calatog to start from scratch, but after that you should catalog all your media again in order to have an updated restore list.

Regards,
Nikos

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
There are a couple ways you can go about this.

1. Start from scratch with no catalogs. To do this, stop the BE services then rename the catalogs folder to .old, then start the services. A new catalogs folder will be generated with no data in it.  But you will need to re-catalog old media to see those restore selections.

2. Delete the old media from the restore selections.  In the restore selection switch to view by media then right click / delete old media that is no longer available. This will remove catalogs for old servers.

3. Delete the old media from the Media tab.  If the media still resides in Backup Exec we will keep a catalog of it, if it hasn't been truncated out. You can delete the media from the media tab in BE and this will remove the catalog from the restore selections as well.

An easy way to see what media is being use for the restore selections is to open the restore selections, find the old server you want to remove and expand it out to see the selections, right click on that selection and select properties. Click on the Media tab to see which tapes/Backup to Disk files it uses.

Tim_Keller
Level 3

I have done this in the past, and yes - it resolves the issue.  However, we have a significant # of tapes we retain; with our environment, the impracticality of recataloging hundreds of tapes speaks for itself.  I guess a future enhancement would be some enhanced (canned) catalog managment and reporting features.  Thanks for the input!